Question On Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

question on framing

Hi everybody.

I'm adding a dormer to my house, and have a question on the roof bearing.

Here's a pic of the dormer showing the roof construction:

question on framing-snapshot-2008-12-18-13-36-10.gif

And here's a detail pic showing the rafter bearing at the center bearing wall. I have 2" of bearing for the birdmouth, but I can also nail/screw the rafters to the main ridge. Does this sound OK?

Name:  Snapshot 2008-12-17 20-49-00.gif
Views: 105
Size:  72.7 KB

Thanks

Advertisement

red86yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

question on framing

Having a hard time understanding the bottom drawing. I'm assuming it is the main ridge with the rafters bearing against it, but does it have a wall under it?

When in doubt, use some adjustable slope joist hangers for the rafters. That way you know the connection is strong enough. Use 10 common nails to fasten the hangers.

You cannot use screws in a structural framing application. They're nowhere near as strong as nails, and are not permitted by code.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #3

question on framing

Is this dormer going to be framed as an overlay or will it have a vaulted ceiling? If vaulted, have you had the valleys on each side engineered to determine what size lumber of LVL you'll need to use?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

question on framing

Nailing is not a bad thing. Just make sure that you don't damage the ends by not getting enough wood to make a solid connection.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

question on framing

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, the second picture is looking at the main ridge. There will be a 2x6 wall under part of it (the double top plate is shown in white).

Gotcha on the no screws for structure attachments...I didn't realize.

And yes, the ceiling will be vaulted. The two ridge beams are 2-2x8's, and the valleys will be 3-2x8's. The rest of the roof will be 2x8's 16" OC. All of this is already approved by the building plan reviewer for my twp. The spans aren't huge, the dormer is roughly 14x28.

So you think the 2" of bearing plus 16D nails in the tails will be OK for the attachment to the main ridge? The exterior walls will be 2x4, and I'll have a full birdmouth there.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

question on framing

You are going to need some plates for the earthquake. They will keep from pulling away from the rest of the structure. I really can't see how you are joining the joists so I can't suggest the right plates. You can get some joist hangers from what it looks like and at the birdsmouth just cut it to the end of the board so that it will end up being 90 degrees and will allow a nice joist to hook in there.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #7

question on framing

Well, I'm in Michigan so no worries about earthquakes.

Here's a cleaned-up picture that shows what I'm thinking....

Name:  Snapshot 2008-12-18 19-32-59.gif
Views: 90
Size:  74.0 KB

I'm thinking 16d's nailed into the blue area of the picture.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #8

question on framing

Hangers are not a code requirement at this location, unless this were a local requirement for one reason or another.

I don't see any problem with what I'm seeing, but would suggest that you minimize the notching at the ridge to accomodate that wide top plate. Unless the wall needs it for some reason, the nominal 6" plate is unnecessary for the rafter bearing, and the notch will only weaken the rafters. My suggestion would be to tightly cut and nail the rafters to the ridge, which is a standard practice for rafter to ridge attachment. Several toenails will do the job perfectly.

Advertisement