Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Share |

Question: Fiber Cement Shingle Siding Installation

I am in the process of installing fiber cement shingles (Certainteed) on my house and I'm uncertain as to how to install the 2" starter strip where the dormer intersects with the roof (see attached photo.) The instructions appear to indicate that the starter strip is installed parallel to the roof line but it seems to me, that would create an awkward angle in areas where the top of the shingle panels make contact with the starter strip. If the starter strip is installed horizontally like the shingles - will I need to do a bunch of short starter strip pieces only in those areas where the bottom of the shingle panel makes contact with the start strip? Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg~
Attached Thumbnails
Question: Fiber Cement Shingle Siding Installation-house-002.jpg  

Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Mod

You should only need the starter on the first little piece of siding.

Make sure to lay a board on the roof and side tight to that board so you’ll end up with a nice straight line over the roof.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #3

Thanks Kwikfishron. I was planning on using a 5/4 board on the roof so I would have a 1" gap between the bottom of the siding and the jumbo wood shake roof - what are your thoughts on that? Certainteed recommends a 1 1/2" clearance but if I did that with the jumbo shake roof - which I hope to replace with a composite in the next five years or so, I'm guessing it would leave an approximately 2 1/2" gap, which would be a bit unsightly. This is not an area of the roof that would get alot of stand snow so it's not likely to have alot of moisture contacting the bottom of the shingles. Anyway, I appreciate your insight and input.

Greg~
Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote