Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Question on addition

this is so interesting...i had a contractor knock off my old back porch, 6 x 16 and add a 4 season room, 14 x 16...unfortunately i started just as i got laid off...but still did it right, the best i could and matched my 1940s house exactly, inside and out...nice hardwood floor (factory finished) to match house, they matched all the trim perfectly...i was on their butt ha...i put in double pained windows with all the extras, even tempered glass...lots of windows!....7 windows and a french door...so anyways...i LOVE my room (there is an very old outdated badly designed kitchen this leads off from that i was going to do at the same time, but that will wait til i am working)..but my question is he also built this on piers...it is 16 feet along the house, 14 back. he attached it to the main beam of the house..he was going to use piers along the house but said that would be better...and he used 8 piers..4 piers along the middle of the room horizontal to the house and 4 more on the outside wall. i had 2 corners slit just a tiny bit, enough to break the paint and thats all...this was done last december. so do you think he used enough piers? he is a good contractor and also a cement guy. one more question please. he used rigid blue insulation under the room, a lot of the soft insulation above that, then a high grade subfloor...then a lanai floor, then the hardwood. my question is there is nothing under the rigid floor if i go under the room...he wrapped the room and did a fake cement foundation, i made him put a door..so i can get under there...but it seems to me there should be something under the rigid insulation..is it ok to not have anything? he said he could put plywood under it if i wanted...i was even thinking plastic sheets....what is the right thing to do? is it supposed to breath?? thx much. my first post to this neat group.

alanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #2

Question on addition

Welcome to the forum, both of you!

Leaving the concrete patio---- that probably doesn't have a vapor barrier, gravel or steel under it per Code that may be required for a heated space, ask your Inspector: pp.3- fig. 5: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-16-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #3

Question on addition

This structure should have been engineered by an architect. The plans should have been approved and the structure inspected as it was built.
All these questions would have been addressed before the addition was started.
Is this the process you went through?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #4

Question on addition

Hi Ron. No. I went to my county for a permit and they said since i was redoing an existing structure that i was grandfathered and did not need a permit. And, no the plans were roughly drawn out by my contractor...with changes as we went along. This is a good man, he does real quality work in town.

thanks.
alanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

Question on addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanj View Post
Hi Ron. No. I went to my county for a permit and they said since i was redoing an existing structure that i was grandfathered and did not need a permit. And, no the plans were roughly drawn out by my contractor...with changes as we went along. This is a good man, he does real quality work in town.

thanks.
If you knock off a porch and rebuild a structure, you need to have it engineered. A contractors ability to build a structure doesn't mean he's qualified to plan the structure.
If you want answers to your questions, hire someone qualified to do an onsite inspection.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote