Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Share |

Question about siding and sheathing for garage

I have a detached garage that was built in the 50's, and it's all T-111 siding nailed straight to studs, with no paper or sheathing underneath.

I'm currently remodeling the whole thing, and the siding is next up. I've talked to 3 different contractors and am getting some different input, so I was hoping some others could provide additional feedback.

So far the consensus seems to be to just remove the old siding, wrap the garage in waterproof paper (they all refer to it as "house-wrap) and then apply new siding on top, without a shear wall.

One of the contractors states that to get it up to code on the siding, I would need to put 1/2" sheathing all around. He said that he'd do it either way though.

So, here are the points I'm deliberating:

- Tar paper or tyvek for wrapping?
- Hardiplank siding or a cheaper composite wood siding?
- Plywood sheathing all around, or just siding over paper to studs?

cyberfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
JOATMON

I would do the sheathing....

Rip everything off....then sheath with 1/2" OSB....
Then wrap
Then add siding....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #3

Why would they want to take the T-111 off? It can be used as your sheathing, unless it's all rotted out.
I have not used tar paper as a house wrap for at least 20 years, use Tyvec or some other brand of house wrap.
Install siding direct to the studs and you have 0 shear wall. Not a good thing in CA.
I'd use vinyl siding instead, easy to install, easy to repair if damaged, inexpecive, easy to cut, never needs painting, no toxic dust when cutting.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would they want to take the T-111 off? It can be used as your sheathing, unless it's all rotted out.
I have not used tar paper as a house wrap for at least 20 years, use Tyvec or some other brand of house wrap.
Install siding direct to the studs and you have 0 shear wall. Not a good thing in CA.
I'd use vinyl siding instead, easy to install, easy to repair if damaged, inexpecive, easy to cut, never needs painting, no toxic dust when cutting.
I concure....

Cyber....click on the link in my signature....Garage build....you will basically see all the things you talked about done....I have sheathing...wrape...vinyl siding and stucco.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #5

a call to your local building official would answer all code related questions, including whether a permit is required. I'm in Massachusetts so I do not know if replacing siding requires a building permit or not. Don't want to get caught doing work if a permit is required. Most inspectors do not have a sense of humor over such.

if it were my garage, and I was putting my hard earned money into it .....

I would install 1/2" APA Performance Rated wood structural panel sheathing. You may want to check out Zip Systems http://www.zipsystem.com/ it comes with a weather barrier already applied. You have to take the seams

I would install a weather barrier (I prefer Typar over Tyvek). this will keep the weather out, siding won't

I would install Hardiplank. I love it, does not burn, rot and insects don't like it. Can get it pre-painted with a warranty. It takes paint great if you want a different color. Tough to work with if you haven't used it before and care must be used in handling the product or it will snap. I've found it to be as cheap as wood siding in my area.

You are the one that has to determine your project budget. Do it right and you'll be happy!

Don't forget the building official though .....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"

Last edited by GBrackins; 08-01-2012 at 12:41 PM.
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback so far. Unfortunately, the existing siding is in very poor condition and rotting in areas, so it needs to come off. I may also need to replace a couple studs along the way (without damaging the drywall) if we find any external facing termite damage.

ddawg, your garage is awesome, but unfortunately I can't just tear down and rebuild =P. Some good pics though!

I'm not a big fan of vinyl siding. Even though it might be cheaper and easier to work with, I just don't care for the look or feel of it.

The hardiplank is what I'm currently looking at. I really like it's resistant properties to just about everything - seems like it would last forever! I'm going to try and get a look at it in person to check it out.

Permits? Since I'll probably get it sheathed, I'll make sure it's done to code. The most recent contractor states that he works with the city all the time on siding permits, and it's a huge pain. Apparently their process is very drawn out and picky. He told me it's a nightmare, and doesn't care if I pull one or not.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #7

If a contractor is doing the work then make sure it's the contractor who pulls the permits. the quality of the work turns onto the problem of whoever pulls the permit, not necessarily of whoever does the work.
eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

the new window and door trim will have to be considered when deciding the approach for sheathing and what not. The best approach is to yank the old siding, hang new osb,put up tyvek. trim out windows and doors and outside corners with appropriate exterior trim, hang siding, paint. You might need a 1/2" furring extension to bring the window-door jambs out flush with the new sheathing.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
JOATMON

Cyber....I wasn't suggesting building a new garage...just wanted to give you a few pics of what the sheathing looks like.

Hardiplank is a good way to go....without a doubt, better than vinyl....more expensive but you don't have to worry about those pesky little wood eaters taking a bite...

Regarding the permit issue.....I suspect that it's a pain because of the earthquake requirements....and if the contractor thinks it's a pain....I'm inclined to think that maybe he is part of the problem. Every case where I have seen a contractor have issues with inspectors and building and safety...it's because they are trying to take short cuts....instead of just doing it they way they want, they are always trying to buck the system...

Your shear walls will need to follow a well defined nailing schedule....if you show up at the building office and you don't have this information properly noted on your drawings....yea, they are going to turn you away...

Additionally....depending on the garage design....you may need something else besides the shear wall to give you the proper shear strength...in the case of my garage, the stucco is a part of the shear strength....without it, I would have had to significantly increased the strength of the shear panel. One of my walls has OSB on both sides.....

Between my garage and the 2-story addition I'm working on now....if we have the 'big one'....I know I have the safest place to be on my street....the b!tch is not going anywhere.....

Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

ddawg, thanks for the information. It's tough to say with that contractor - although, I've had MANY contractors come out for bids on various things, and not one mentioned permits. Interesting, right?

We have a friend of the family who is a GC and has done lots of work for us, all to code, but not permitted. Funny enough, I didn't even know you needed permits for most of the stuff we did until afterwards. Oh well. I do know that the work was done to code though, by experienced contractors.

For the shear wall, since you got me thinking about earthquakes and the "big one" that is sure to come at some point, I read up on the 2007 CA building code for shear walls. I think what I'll do is either do it myself, and go overkill on the sheathing, or if I do hire it out, ensure that I review how it should be done if they don't already know, and still go overkill on the materials and stuff. That should do the trick I would think.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
JOATMON

Don't be afraid to go to your building and safety office....you will be surprised at how much help they will give you. When it's obvious that you want to do it right....they will pretty much bend over backwards to help you get there.

Tags
garage, sheathing, siding