Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Question About Siding Dis-repair?

Hi Everyone,

I live in Iowa. I had a new house built (prefab home), moved in October 2009 and April 2010 I noticed my siding had warped very badly on the back and side of the house. They had to come back and replace the OSB sheathing because it had warped badly. They also replaced the warped siding I believe, too.

However, this winter I noticed some giant icicles weeping from the siding above some of the window openings as well as where the shower is on the other side of the wall near the top of the wall by the soffit.
After tons of investigation, I couldn't figure out what it was...then I noticed a gap in where the siding wasn't overlapped. I slid it out further and noticed the house wrap had not been taped! Also, wouldn't best practice dictacte they should be caulking that huge gap where they cut out the OSB?

I'm assuming this is the source of ice/moisture in the winter--heat escaping from the wall cavity where it was cut.

I just wanted your thoughts to confirm what I already suspect.

I am going to contact the inspector on Monday to see if taping is code and his thoughts, but I am building a case to get the prefab company to come out and fix their repair mistakes! I have also downloaded install guides for siding and tyvek house wrap to show they did not repair per manufacturer. So far, they have been very receptive to fixing their mistakes, but it seems like there has been so many I wonder if my luck will run out. :-)

Thanks ,
gunrock

gunrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #2

They left the siding gap in that picture?

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

can you show a pic of the roof above and the window?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
They left the siding gap in that picture?
Initially there was no gap, but over the course of winter I don't know if the siding shifted or shrank, but the gap was a little over 1 inch, i opened it up more to see what was behind the siding and what was causing the leak and that's what I found. :-)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
can you show a pic of the roof above and the window?
Okay--the pipe you see coming out of the roof is the radon pipe--early in the season to investigate what you see in the pic, I went up in the attic, I noticed the plumber didn't put the insulation back around the pipe, so I wondered if heat was escaping into the attic and out the soffit...I leveled it out and checked for leaks and the baffels are clear as well.

The area you see in the pic--the bathroom shower is on the otherside. The other spots I got some large icicles was above the windows and the sliding glass door. I'm just wondering if heat is escaping out the gaps where they cut out the bad OSB.

I'm thinking to have done this repair properly, they should have sealed around the areas they patched in the OSB and taped the cut housewrap to help with air and water intrusion.--I just wanted some thoughts before I contact the prefab manufacturer--from my experience as my own GC on this project and research on building, what I am asking should have been done.

Maybe icicles weeping from window/door openings could be normal, but I don't see why it would in this place...

Thanks,

gunrock