Question About Rotting Rim Joist - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about rotting rim joist

Hello. I have started to install laminate in my family room. Along the back, outer wall of the family room we have a backdoor leading out to a deck. The floor under that door was sagging.

I pulled up the carpet and found the subfloor was rotted. I pulled up pieces of the subfloor and found a lot of rot underneath, especially on the rim joist on the outer wall.

To fix this, I scraped away as much of the rot as I could without digging, then nailed a 5 ft 2x4 to the rim joist, and another 2x4 to that 2x4 to serve as support for the new subfloor plank. I wedged another 2x4 under these nailed 2x4's, on top of the cinder block foundation, to serve as extra support.

My question is, will this be sufficient, assuming I stop the source of the rot? Is the rim joist going to need to be completely replaced? Or are repairs of this nature enough to help with the rotted rim joist?

Thanks...

Advertisement

dem372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
"My question is, will this be sufficient, assuming I stop the source of the rot? Is the rim joist going to need to be completely replaced? Or are repairs of this nature enough to help with the rotted rim joist?"
Can't say.

Much depends upon whether:

1) This rim joist support bearing walls above. It doesn't appear that it does from your desciption.

2) You have or can solve the water penetration and rot issue. Sounds as if the door is improperly flashed above the unit and under the door itself with sill flashing.

Proper flashing , especially if you need sill flashing, could entail having to remove the door to install it. having to remove the door would give you acess to replace the section of rim joist as well to eliminate the moisture and stop the rot.

Advertisement

manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks. I assumed the wall was load bearing just because it was the exterior back wall of the home.

As for the source of the damage, the wall has two full length, 36 inch wide windows separated by the back door leading out to the deck. It looks like the back door was letting the water in. Most of the rot is just under the door frame.

I dont even want to consider what it would cost to have it replaced.

Only about 4 feet or less of the joist is rotten...probably about the top 2 or 3 inches of the joist.
dem372 is offline   Reply With Quote