Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

question about right angle drilling into existing foundation for new sillplate

My house was built in 1965. Sillplate and rim joist need replacing.One of my options is to drill new holes in the existing foundation to replace the old anchor bolts (nut,washer,threaded rod). The new anchor bolts will hold down the new sillplate. The other option is to use the universal foundation plate by Simpson. I would like to do both while I have the opportunity. Is there a certain length the new threaded rod/stud should go into the existing foundation? It sounds like 2.5" of that overall length should be sticking out of the top of the existing foundation to be able to put new sillplate down with a new washer/nut. Once the old sillplate and rim joist are removed will a right angle drill fit in there with a drill bit to be able to drill holes in the top of the existing foundation. Thanks

Last edited by Pawl; 06-03-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,000

I can not make heads or tails out of what it is your trying to do.
Walls are built on top of the foundation on sill plates, not built into it.
Got a picture?

Willie T (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,016

glad to see I wasn't the only one confused, thought I might been having a senior moment .....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,218

Are you talking about anchor studs as in expansion bolts? You'll need a good rotary hammer drill and since your in Orange Co. you best look into their seismic anchor requirements.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,186

If by studs you mean foundation bolts then trying to drill holes to epoxy in new bolts when you have little clearance is near impossible. Those foundation plates are the only way to go if there allowed in your area imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-04-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawl View Post
My house was built in 1965. One of my options is to drill new holes for new studs to hold down new sillplate. The other is to use the universal foundation plate. I am probably going to do both just because the labor is free considering I am doing it and I like my current address just fine. Is there a certain length the new stud should go into the existing foundation? It sounds like 2.5" should be sticking out of the top of the foundation. Do I need a heavy duty right angle drill to accomplish this? Thanks
Why in the world would you use both,i think when you get started you'll go for the Simpson plate.

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/i...ate&status=301
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

ha ha -Sorry guys - my sillplate and rim joist need to be replaced due to rotting. I already purchased the universal foundation plates by Simpson but I also wanted to put anchor bolts (nut,washer,threaded rod), back into the top of the existing foundation. I am doing this work myself.
Attached Thumbnails
question about right angle drilling into existing foundation for new sillplate-house-floor-plans-079.jpg   question about right angle drilling into existing foundation for new sillplate-house-floor-plans-073.jpg  

Last edited by Pawl; 06-03-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

do you mean sill plate (studs laid flat on top of foundation) that your sill beam/rim joist sits on top of?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
If by studs you mean foundation bolts then trying to drill holes to epoxy in new bolts when you have little clearance is near impossible. Those foundation plates are the only way to go if there allowed in your area imo.
I have 7 inches clearance once the rim joist and sillplate/beam are removed. What have they done in the past to fix old unusable foundation bolts before Simpson foundation plates were used?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawl View Post
I have 7 inches clearance once the rim joist and sillplate/beam are removed. What have they done in the past to fix old unusable foundation bolts before Simpson foundation plates were used?
I don't know.... maybe notch the plate instead of drilling it and sliding it in under the washer. That's just a guess though, I have no personal knowledge of that.

Those Simpson plates are made for what you're doing.... use them.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-04-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,218

May not be the proper way, but you could put the sill in position, then drill through the sole plate and sill using a long bit. Then use extra long bolts that are nutted on top of the sole plate. thats how seismic anchors are done. Of course, you'd have to remove more stucco
Pawl (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
May not be the proper way, but you could put the sill in position, then drill through the sole plate and sill using a long bit. Then use extra long bolts that are nutted on top of the sole plate. thats how seismic anchors are done. Of course, you'd have to remove more stucco
Its a little tricky when we are doing this kind of work. I have the universal foundation plates from Simpson Ties Company that are going to work. I just wanted to do a little more since I have everything tore up. I am in no hurry being retired so I have the time to stand back,read suggestions and see if I can make it work. With everything I have learned I am going to completely secure everything underneath in the whole crawlspace with these universal foundation plates.I can already tell these rusty anchor bolts will not keep this house on the foundation in a decent earthquake. And my house is partially two story.Your suggestion would allow me the ability to drill two new holes into the existing foundation and expoxy two new anchor bolts in place if I want to go that route. The 3rd one is under the patio door so I cant get at it to drill. I saw some good you tube videos on placing anchor bolts. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pawl For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #13

if it falls under the door you should install one on each side of the door.

realistically anchor bolts only secure the sill plate to the foundation. unless you have a designed connection between the wall/floor/sill plate they do not keep the house on the foundation. this is the reason that in some parts of the country (high wind and seismic) it is common to see large holdown brackets being installed to stud corners (or even posts) down into the foundation, and this type of connection going up the corners to the upper most top plate and connections being made of either side of wall openings such as windows and doors.

The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Pawl (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #14

I am starting to see that even new anchor bolts are going to be a lot of work to install when the Simpson universal foundation plates do the same thing except they are new and dont have 48 years of rust on them. I have lived here all my life and have not seen damage to homes from earthquakes that made them come off the foundation. I am definitely not saying it won't happen. (Northridge,Ca earthquake 1994) As a matter of fact I believe most of the homes in southern calif are not ready for the big one. I will do what I can to prepare my house with what I can get at structurally. I can install universal foundation plates everywhere in my crawlspace so I might as well start there when this project is complete.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #15

the Northridge quake led to many of the changes in the design/build of homes for lateral loads whether seismic or wind. That along with Hurricane Andrew in South Florida back in '91.

sounds like you have a nice "honey-do" list ahead of you, good luck!