Question About Re-framing A Specific Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Question about re-framing a specific wall

Here is one for you, not quite sure of all the terminalogy but i will do the best i can to explain what i want to do.

I have a cape style house with a shed dormer on the back. The dormer does not go all the way to the sides or the back of the house.

When standing inside the upstairs there is maybe about a foot where the old slope of the roof comes down that is not part of the shed dormer. So when looking at each side wall you see the shed dormerthat sits on the old slopse of the roof., inside that space (about a foot) it goes down the the old roof. I am looking to utlitlze that space that is currently useless. Could I cut out a 2X4 and either double them up or put in a 4x4 to frame in a bookshelf? Is there anyway to make this work properly. It is a small space.

Advertisement

bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Access to the area is probably possible, but what you do will depend on the loads invlved.
Try posting a picture of the structure you want to change.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Bascially I would like to remove that middle stud, it is not continous up to the ceiling. I can double up the other studs if needed to keep the structure integrety, and frame a bookcase if that space. Is that doable?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about re-framing a specific wall-php3ym8rwam.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

IMO, amateurs (like me) should never ever ever change a structural wall without paying an architect or structural engineer to spec out the proposed changes and pulling the required permits, if any. That way, your safe from death, injury, lawsuits, and pissing off your code enforcement officer. If it is not structural, you have lots of options but be sure to keep the weather out and beware of moisture/venting issues on the warm side. If you don't know if its structural or not, read up or hire a pro to make the call.

My raw guess from the single photo is that its a nonstructural kneewall.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The top inclined member looks like a roof rafter.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,790

I don't see a problem taking the 2X out, you aren't going to disturb the insulation are you?

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 270

Being how the dormer walls are framed on top the rafters, that may be a double rafter there and knocking out that middle 2x4 should be ok. Looks like it's there for sheetrock framing.
This may be a cold-spot afterwards unless you can re-insulate after the bookcase framing.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #8

Ok, thanks for the advice. I also believe that the 2x are there for a nailing surface. The space is deeper than probably how it looks in the picture.. The foam is on the exterior wall and won't be disturbed as the bookcase will not go that far back. Not sure if the rafter is doubled up but before the dormer was added that was the pitch of the entire roof structure and they probably didn't have kneewalls underneath just the collar ties at the peak. So I should be good to remove? Will double up the other 2x's too

Advertisement