Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about insulating a garage forCcanadian winters

Hey guys, first post here. I'm planning on building a garage this summer and have some questions about properly insulating it for the harsh Canadian winter. The garage I'm planning on putting up goes like this, 24x30, 9 or 10' walls, W style trusses, and in floor radiant heat. Will also have a wood stove to provide quick(er) heat when needed. The general idea I have is that I would like to keep the garage above freezing with the radiant heat. Then use the wood heat to make it comfortable if I'll be working in there. My main question is about insulating the roof. I don't want to have a ceiling in the garage, so I would like to insulate the top chord of the truss. Admittedly, I'm pretty ignorant in the ways of vents and airflow and such, so I'm not sure what I should be doing here. Should I go with a 2x6 for the top chord, then insulate 4 of the 6 inches of the top chord? leaving a gap for the air to blow through? What other vents would I need? Thanks, Ryan

trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Two issues I see. One is that the amount of ceiling insulation, which would be okay if you lived in Georgia. And without a ceiling, most of your heating dollar will be 13 feet in the air.
In lower NY, the recommended ceiling insulation thickness is 12".
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Putting a ceiling in the garage will make it much much easier to heat it with the wood stove.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I also didnt want to put up a ceiling, but decided to do it bc of ease of insulation and better heating,
check out this thread, there is a good product in there if u do decide to do no ceiling

http://www.diychatroom.com/showthrea...2755#post92755
BleachCola is offline   Reply With Quote