Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Still going...

Share |

Question about dropping ceiling

I currently have 10' ceilings in both bathrooms I am remodeling. Can I frame in a new ceiling 6" or so lower without removing the old ceiling and drywall? Both ceilings have blown in insulation sitting on top of them and it would save me massive amounts of time to not disturb this. I also need to run drain vents that WERE NOT DONE by the previous owner/contractor. The new ceiling would not be insulated.

Plan: rent laser level mark out new height, frame, install lights and fans, drywall, and so on.

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #2

That will work.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #3

Will you be using recessed can lights? If so, what does the depth / height measure. How are you venting the exhaust / ceiing fan? Through the roof or sidewall ? The drain vents obviously need to penetrate the roof. How will you navigate those pipes?

You may find it easier to open up the existing ceiling after all. It is sooo much easier to install lights, fans, wiring, plumbing and fan venting when the ceiling is open and also to access the existing conditions

What I have done in the past is to go into the attic and pull back and pile up all the blown in insulation @ the area where the ceiling is to be removed and replace it when the new ceiling drywall is hung ( Shovel, broom, piece of scrap plywood ( about the size of a clipboard ) work just fine. You won't get every single bit, but most of it.

A lot easier from the ladder to pop your head and upper torso through the existing trusses to do all your ceiling work
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Octopus For This Useful Post:
ChrisDIY (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
Will you be using recessed can lights? If so, what does the depth / height measure. How are you venting the exhaust / ceiling fan? Through the roof or sidewall ? The drain vents obviously need to penetrate the roof. How will you navigate those pipes?

You may find it easier to open up the existing ceiling after all. It is sooo much easier to install lights, fans, wiring, plumbing and fan venting when the ceiling is open and also to access the existing conditions

What I have done in the past is to go into the attic and pull back and pile up all the blown in insulation @ the area where the ceiling is to be removed and replace it when the new ceiling drywall is hung ( Shovel, broom, piece of scrap plywood ( about the size of a clipboard ) work just fine. You won't get every single bit, but most of it.

A lot easier from the ladder to pop your head and upper torso through the existing trusses to do all your ceiling work
Hall bathroom ceiling is in this thread Identification and cutting of roof truss system for skylights?

I master bathroom I haven't taken ceiling out but the bathrooms share a common "attic." I may have to pop a hole through to remove existing exhaust fan in master bath. Odd, I don't remember seeing one now that I think of it...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 12-03-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Still going...

Can you do the same thing for a wall. I want to turn a closet into a shower and the whole space is too large so there will be in theory a small 1' foot space between existing exterior wall and the new wall for shower. Can I leave the drywall on the current exterior wall since its holding up blow in insulation?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawktah View Post
Can you do the same thing for a wall. I want to turn a closet into a shower and the whole space is too large so there will be in theory a small 1' foot space between existing exterior wall and the new wall for shower. Can I leave the drywall on the current exterior wall since its holding up blow in insulation?

yes you can

ChrisDIY (12-03-2010)