Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #1

Share |

Question about building a wall

Hello, i have an area in my basement that i want to wall in to make and office...there is already a dry wall ceiling and the air/heating ducts are dry walled in the ceiling but hang down about a foot along the line it runs. id like to follow the duct line with my new wall...it out lines the area i want to enclose perfectly...my question is that im wondering if its possible to make a wall from the floor to this dry walled air duct in the ceiling. Thanks!

garrettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #2

Depends on how the soffit is framed. If framed with 2x3 then I don't see why you cant build a wall there.

raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #3

im assuming the only way to tell is by cutting into it? im fairly new to home improvements but i love doing it...sorry for the rookie questions =)
garrettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #4

You can most likely build your wall there. You just need to deterime where the soffit framing is. You can do that with an inexpensive stud finder, or simply a hammer and a small nail and make a few holes in the space that will be covered by the wall. The soffit will normally have framing parallel to the duct at the corners of the duct, and will have ceiling "joists" every 16 or 24" perpindicular to the duct on the underside. The joists are what you're looking for. Sometimes they'll be 1x3, sometimes 2x4, occasionally 2x2, or 2x3 (although most markets in the US aren't 2x3 markets). If the duct is narrow enough, sometimes there won't be wood on its underside, and they'll hold the rock very close to the bottom of the duct to conserve headroom. In this case, the rock is attached to framing parallel to the duct at the corners.

Once you've located the framing members, mark their location and try to determine their thickness. You'll frame your new wall, and attach the top plate of the wall to the underside of the soffit. Use screws just long enough to attach to the soffit framing, but not long enough to go all the way through it. You don't want to penetrate the duct, or even contact it with the screw if you can avoid it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettb View Post
sorry for the rookie questions
Rookie questions are commonplace here, and we love helping. Ask away.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote