Ques Re New Wind Turbine Installation For Attic Ventillation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ques re new wind turbine installation for attic ventillation

Had a wind turbine installed on roof to improve attic ventilation along with vented soffits. After a couple days operation have noticed it rotates continuously during the day but stops in the evening when the wind is very calm. Is this fairly typical? My concern is that have heard they will leak during rain if not turning. Thanks for any insights.

Advertisement

Mi Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Mi Feller I also have turbines. However I don't have vented soffets. The house just doesn't have traditional soffets so mine don't turn continuously from the convection currents the way yours do. But to answer your question, I have never had mine leak in the rain because they were not turning.

Hope that helps

Advertisement

Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottrik For This Useful Post:
Mi Feller (09-11-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,080

That is one problem with turbines. The other is they pull conditioned air from the space below if too numerous or inlet vents are undersized. You need a balanced system: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml
If you size the turbines for their combined total output per attic volume and the wind stops, now your system is far unbalanced for a passive system. If you add exhaust vents for the passive balance and the wind blows………. They spin from outside moving air.....

Gary
Mi Feller (09-11-2010)