Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

quartz countertop problem

I had a quartz countertop installed 1.5 years ago through IKEA. Everything has gone great except one thing. The underlay material was not glued to the bottom of the countertop. That underlay is sagging in one place which allows one drawer to sag and rub the drawer front below it. The drawer guide is scratching the drawer front below it. I am wondering if it is OK to put a screw up into the quartz to make the counter support stay uniformly attached to the underlay and countertop. I have tried to use a construction adhesive for quartz and it doesn't seem to be working. I don't know how thick the quartz is, although I think I have enough paperwork to look that up. Any help would be appreciated.

mmmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can not screw into the quartz without damaging it.
You need to explain exactly what counter top set up you have. If the 2 sections are delaminating you will need to find an adhesive compatible with the 2 materials and the previous adhesive.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
I am wondering if it is OK to put a screw up into the quartz...
NO NO NO !

Drill a few holes in the (so-called) underlayment and squeeze 100% silicone into the holes disbursing it as much as you can between the two surfaces. Then have a clamping affair of some kind rigged and ready to immediately clamp the two materials together overnight.

This assumes I understand the problem. Never heard of a quartz countertop being done like that but - I suppose !!!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #4

New product, "Quartz transformations"
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
New product, "Quartz transformations"
Yow well, I can guarantee they will transform their top if they go drilling holes in it.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,136

you got the quality you paid for bud, forgot to send a note - will do now
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #7

Underlay material?????? I have seen lots of quartz and other man made stones tops, and none had an underlay. The top was always solid, top to bottom, same as real stone. There often was a wood insert where dishwashers screw to the top, but that is all. That was usually glued in place. Is that what you have???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Tileguy

Something has just occurred to me!!!

For several months now I have been hearing radio advertising about a company called "Granite Transformations". One of their claims is; you don't have to remove your old countertops to have new granite countertops installed. They somehow enclose the existing tops with their product. Could that be what is happening here?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for all of the input on my countertop. I definitely won't be drilling any holes in it.

I did drill up through the underlay material and forced a construction adhesive in and tried to spread it around. After doing that on one side, It didn't seem to be holding. I found this chat room. I decided to be patient (for once) and I drilled a hole into the underlay on the other side and did the same thing. I waited an extra day and beefed up the supports pushing/clamping the two materials. After 2.5 full days of drying time, I tried putting the drawer back in and had no sagging. It seems to have done the trick.
mmmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I did drill up through the underlay material and forced a construction adhesive in and tried to spread it around.
Quote:
It didn't seem to be holding.
I wonder why you haven't told us this until now?

I suggested 100% silicone and I suggested that for a good reason over using construction adhesive. What do you suppose that reason was?

Pay attention 'cause this is going to be on your test next week.