Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #1

Share |

PVC underneath the floor (concrete slab)

Hello,
I'm removing the carpet and installing a laminated floor in the room downstairs.
I would like to take this opportunity to place two PCV pipes of 1 in underneath the floor, I need to create a groove in the concrete slab.
Those pipes are to connect the main tank aquarium to the sump in the laundry room, the distance is about 8 feet.
I am thinking to create a groove across the room and cover it then with concrete.
Is this something reasonable to do? Or the groove in the concrete may create a problem of any sort? Any possibility of damaging the foundation of the house? I have no idea how deep is the concrete slab.

thank you in advance for any help

Massimo

massimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #2

If you cut a groove in your concrete slab it is almost guaranteed to crack. I would strongly advise against doing this. You would be better off installing treated furring strips on the floor and sheath it in plywood to raise the level of the floor enough to accomodate the pipe.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #3

I think you could pipe it up and across the ceiling if you've the proper pump system if the furred out floor doesn't work?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #4

How bout running it along the floor at the wall and cover it with some molding?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Hello,
I'm removing the carpet and installing a laminated floor in the room downstairs.
I would like to take this opportunity to place two PCV pipes of 1 in underneath the floor, I need to create a groove in the concrete slab.
Those pipes are to connect the main tank aquarium to the sump in the laundry room, the distance is about 8 feet.
I am thinking to create a groove across the room and cover it then with concrete.
Is this something reasonable to do? Or the groove in the concrete may create a problem of any sort? Any possibility of damaging the foundation of the house? I have no idea how deep is the concrete slab.

thank you in advance for any help

Massimo
What exactly are you trying to provide an overflow?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

People cut up there basement slabs around here all the time to reroute basement bath plumbing so I think you could do it. Be sure that there are not any utilities where you want to cut. I'd use a wet diamond bladed saw that is on wheels and cut a 4'-6" wide slot through the slab. The good ones are gas powered so you'll need to have the windows open for a while. You must use water so you'll need a wet dry vac sucking up the sludge as you cut.

Run the piping under the slab so you get a full thickness slab. Thoroughly compact soil or better yet crushed rock so you don't get settling/cracking. Repair any damaged vapor barrier before you refill the slot with concrete. If you compact well and your existing floor and subsoil is stable then you shouldn't get any more than hairline cracks at the cold joint that shouldn't show with laminate above it.

You'll want a p trap on the drain near the aquarium to block odors and slope your drain 1/4" per ft to the sump well.

Code probably doesn't allow you to use the sump well for aquarium draining but who knows? Can you hook to your sewer line instead? I've seen small industrial floor drains made of brass that have a nice screw on cover when not in use that would look pretty decent in the floor next to the aquarium. You open it up when it's time to drain and put the drain hose into it.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #7

thank you guys for your comments/suggestions.
Massimo

massimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete floor plumming