PVC Trimboards With Integrated J-channel - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

PVC trimboards with integrated J-channel

Does anyone have experience using either of these products:

- CertainTeed "J-Pocket" PVC trim
http://www.certainteed.com/resources/902.pdf
(pages 2 or 3, bottom)

- Harvey J-channel casing
http://www.harveybp.com/pro/docs/Har...Sell-Sheet.pdf
(top row, center)

We are going to have vinyl siding installed soon and at the moment we have new windows with no exterior trim. I'd prefer to use something like this rather than surrounding regular trim with standard J-channel. However, I'm not convinced either of these are good solutions.

The Harvey casing has a true "channel", so I could see that working properly. However, I saw the Harvey in person and it has a plastic appearance, not natural looking like Azek. Also, Harvey won't sell direct to home owners.

The CertainTeed looks better in person but with the "notched" edge rather than a channel I don't see how it would direct water around the window as a J-channel should. Particularly on the head casing, wouldn't that notch just pull water towards the sheathing and under the vinyl? Am I missing something?

Finally, if the CertainTeed is an acceptable solution, is there any reason why I couldn't buy 5/4 x 4 Azek and cut the notch myself on a table saw? Azek is more readily available, and presumably less expensive.

Thanks,
Mark

Advertisement

cumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

PVC trimboards with integrated J-channel

you can notch the pvc your self but your right the top should be closed off with a drip cap to prevent water intrusion,so you will need a j channel to recive the bottom edge of the siding there

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote