Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Landlord

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Putting up a Pergola

I'm wanting to build a pergola but I have gutters. What is the best way to get around this with keeping the gutters. I have a concrete patio where I want the pergola.

cocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #2

Putting up a Pergola

Make the pergola a free standing unit instead of attached to the house.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Landlord

Putting up a Pergola

any advice on attaching one of the posts to the concrete pad??

Last edited by cocean; 07-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #4

Putting up a Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocean View Post
any advice on attaching on of the posts to the concrete pad??
This will require opening the slab and pouring a sonotube below the frost line.
Ron
Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Landlord

Putting up a Pergola

What's the difference with attaching a post to a concrete slab and attaching it to the top of a sonotube which is filled with concrete? I'm only attaching one post to the concrete. The other 3 will be in the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Putting up a Pergola-post-concrete.jpg  

Last edited by cocean; 07-19-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

Putting up a Pergola

The slab wasn't engineered for the load of the pergola would be my guess.
How thick is the slab?
Ron
Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #7

Putting up a Pergola

What do the building codes say to do?
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #8

Putting up a Pergola

Would it be wrong to have concrete under each posts for more stability?
Jas.Dou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #9

Putting up a Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas.Dou View Post
Would it be wrong to have concrete under each posts for more stability?
It would be wrong not to. These posts need support that goes below the frost line to keep the posts from being shifted by frost heaving. Each region will have codes to cover the issue, whether you are building this in the North or the South.
Ron
Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Landlord

Putting up a Pergola

Building codes? Not getting a permit. This pergola is not going to be large and heavy. I will have 3 of the posts 3 foot in the ground.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #11

Putting up a Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocean View Post
Building codes? Not getting a permit. This pergola is not going to be large and heavy. I will have 3 of the posts 3 foot in the ground.
Build it any way you want, it's not going to kill anyone I know.
Ron
Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
DIY Junkie!!

Putting up a Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The slab wasn't engineered for the load of the pergola would be my guess.
How thick is the slab?
Ron
I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I find myself in a similar situation (cocean's diagram is almost SPOT-ON!!). However, I live near Houston, TX, and frost heave is not an issue for us. We get a few light freezes every year, but nothing that would require sonotubes.

I plan on constructing a pergola on a 10' X 14' concrete slab. One of the 4 legs MUST be attached directly to the concrete slab, but I would really like to attach all 4 legs directly to the slab to eliminate the need to dig for sonotubes.

A recent episode of "Ask This Old House" had a feature on replacing rotted out posts for an elevated deck. The original posts were mounted to a concrete pillar formed by a sonotube form....but without any form of fastener. Rather, the posts had a hole drilled into the bottom to accept the threaded "stud" originally poured into the concrete....all the "stud" was meant to do was keep the post from sliding off the top of the tube if someone bumped it. The remedy was to remove the posts with the rotted bottoms, cut the "stud" off and drill a hole adjacent to the "stud" to accept an expanding anchor bolt. That anchor bolt was used to hold a post plate on the top of the concrete pillar and the new post was attached to that post plate with galvanized nails.

What I would like to do is use a hammer drill to drill holes in the slab (three of them would be located over the footings, the other in a corner where I cannot tell if it is over a footing or not), mount the post plates to the slab in the same manner as that featured in the "A.T.O.H" episode, and build the pergola up from there.

The posts will be PT 4" X 4" (probably only about 8' high), the cross-beams will be P T 2" X 6", and the "slats" at the top will most likely be PT 2" X 2". As you can see, this is designed to be lightweight. How can one find out the weight bearing capacity of the patio? I must assume that it was built to code, as there is no way to find out otherwise this long after the construction took place.

Our only issue is that being in the area of the Texas Gulf Coast (about 120 miles inland), there are times when hurricanes come through. The last one (Ike) had winds of adequate strength to tear lapped siding off the sides of the structure and also required a new roof. I would really like to be confident that the expanding anchor/post plate mounting system would be of adequate strength to hold the pergola down in a fairly high wind....it is entirely possible that the wind could be in the 80 MPH range. The post plate requires 1/2" bolts.....

Any ideas if this would adequately anchor the posts to prevent the pergola from becoming a flying structure? If necessary, I could drill additional holes in each of the post plates so that they could be held down with as many as 3 expanding anchors.

TIA for whatever help you can provide.

Cheers from Dugly !!
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #13

Putting up a Pergola

Dugly, your locality probably has building codes for this structure. Contact them for what they require.
Ron
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #14

Putting up a Pergola

I would agree with checking into local codes. Huricane winds are a more critical element than frost heaving. There is nothing stopping your from doing what you describe. It just may not be built to code. I am sure many people have done what you describe and never had a problem. I even know a few people. Lets face it, the slab is not going to blow away in the wind. Nor will the post if well connected to it. I think the bigger concern is that concrete patio slabs are relatively thin and move, sink, crack, etc. There is more risk in compromising the pregola's structure down the road. Why must one post be on the slab?
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Putting up a Pergola

Were I to do something like this for my house I would rent a concrete cutter from HD (they have good prices around here), and cut a 16-18"" sq. hole in the concrete. Then dig a hole about 3-4' deep for all the posts depending n the height you want the pergola to be. I would use redwood if possible or cedar, pressure treated is great except for the look of course.
Put about 8" of gravel in the hole then insert the posts and fill the rest of the holes with gravel to the top. You will have to lightly tamp the gravel as you are filling the holes.
We don't have hurricanes here but we get hurricane force winds called the Santa Ana winds. Pergolas generally have open construction so there is not a lot of concern about such a structure flying away in a wind. Earthquakes though we have concern about.
Anyway the gravel is a good technique I think because if you really need to you can remove them much more easily than you can concrete.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote