Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

putting up car shelter

I'm trying to put up this 10 x 20 car shelter I bought at Pep Boys. Far as assembly, I have that covered- Problem is, my property isn't level anywhere and grading it isn't an option right now. I'd like to put it up, and anchor it down somehow, properly. The location I'm putting it differs lengthwise by about 6-8" or so. Side-to-side differs by about 5". How can I properly measure & level it out? It has a total of 8 upright poles. I believe the centers of these (outer corners) poles to be the 10' x 20' sizing. What can I use to mark these "centers"; what should I use to anchor the 8 poles? And last how should I square it off against my house. The first mark (or left front corner {10' facing} when you look at it from the street) will be 48" off the house. I'd like the other end to be also 48" off the house, in other words, square to the house. Thanks a lot!!!

mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

putting up car shelter

Easy way to get the 48". Cut a piece of wood 48" long put one end against the foundation at the front of the house lay a level on th board and hold it level. Drive a stake at the end,. Then do the same thing at the back of the house and drive a stake stretch a string between the stakes and level the string. You now have a line parallel to the house 48" away and a level line to work with.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote