Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Putting up a beam - Need Help?

Pictures attached....

Background:

I have a sagging living room ceiling/bedroom upstairs floor that I'm trying to correct with a beam. I have the ceiling cut out where the beam will be going. I had a friend who was gonna put the beam in for me, but now cannot do it for me so I will be tackling it on my own.

He was going to install it by jacking up with hydraulic jacks a spot away from where beam will be going. He was gonna jack up a bit higher than level he say's. Then he was gonna install the beam with 2x4 sandwiched together to be the support post on each side and put two longer 2x4 on each side of the beam than he was gonna bring down the jacks slowly and have it sit on beam.

I am wondering if (since I am not looking for perfection) and the fact that the ceiling has been held up without a beam all this time anyways can I take the easy way and just jack up the beam with jack post on each side until it straighten's the ceiling/floor and all ceiling joist are touching the beam. The jack post that will go where railing is I'm planning hiding in a wall that will close of half of where the railing is. Can I just do it that way? Or is the other way my friend was gonna do it the proper way to do it?

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Putting up a beam - Need Help?-rsz_dsc08196.jpg   Putting up a beam - Need Help?-rsz_dsc08197.jpg   Putting up a beam - Need Help?-rsz_dsc08195.jpg   Putting up a beam - Need Help?-rsz_dsc08198.jpg  

Last edited by kgagnon7; 08-31-2012 at 09:05 PM.
kgagnon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

I already have a beam made for this as well. It's (5) 2x6x14 with OSB sandwiched between each piece. I went with size to avoid taking much more ceiling height away.

Last edited by kgagnon7; 08-31-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Dont waste your time.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

That beam will bow as soon as you put a jack on it.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

I don't understand. Essentially saying beam was waste of money and putting it up a waste of time but no explanation or solution? please help me understand how and why a beam built this strong will bow being jacked up to lift sag. The beam is 9" 1/2 wide. Just can't see it.

Last edited by kgagnon7; 08-31-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,286

How long did it take you to make up that beam? I think you would have come out ahead overall if you had used a PSL beam.

Hopefully Daniel Holzman will chime in....he is our structural expert.....there was a discussion about a year ago regarding home made beams using OSB....it was pretty interesting.

In a nutshell....the overall stiffness of the beam is not so much a factor of how many 2x6's you have, but more of the cord....a 2x8 is going to have a significant advantage.

To give you a relative idea....in my addition, in one spot I'm spanning 14' and I'm using a 4x11.25 PSL beam....and the load above is not that much.

To get an idea....click on the link in my signature....you will see lots of beams.

BTW...I personally think your method for raising the beam is fine. Sounds like something I would do....just be safe.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #7

The beam did not take very long at all. I went with (5) 2x6 with the OSB instead of (4) 2x8 with OSB cause wanted to save ceiling height. I figure technically the ceiling was holding up without beam so anything I do should be fine. The sag I am trying to lift spans about 5 feet of the 14 feet span. Above it is a half wall and the sloped ceiling that also slopes into a double plate mini wall about a for high in crawl space.

Hard to explain but in crawl space is a hidden beam above ceiling that span across nothing supporting one side cause goes to stair entrance cut out. The other side of that beam did not reach wall so they put (2) 2x10 on each side of beam to extend it and that spot the beam bent pushing on ceiling joists.

Thanks for you time much appreciated.

Last edited by kgagnon7; 09-01-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,186

What was there before? looks like the joist break on that spot.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #9

No break. There was nothing there I cut the ceiling tiles and drywall to prepare for beam.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,244

how much is it sagging ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #11

Have not actually measured but safe to say 1" to 2"
Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,000

What's under the area on both ends where the jacks are going to be?
(and no, not the lifting jacks, the ganged up 2 X 4's in the wall)
There needs to be support all the way down to a footing below the floor.

Picture trying to jack up a car with the bottom of the jack sitting on loose sand. You may get it up but it's going to keep on slowly sinking.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
kgagnon7 (09-09-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #13

Starting to seem like impossible project. One side it's gonna be the wall plate and under it a new installed window as I had a new wood foundation put in. Has a 2x6 header. The other side will be a wall plate floor and I put two more 2x8 on each side of the 2x8 floor joists. It's not gonna be possible to put a post there really. The span of the floor below between beams is about 6 feet. This beam is basically almost between them above.

Last edited by kgagnon7; 09-01-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

the one side ends at the outside corner of the stairwell opening, that will need to be posted to the footing/foundation to support new beam unless you were rebuilding that opening and setting new beam up into the floor system while hanging the beam off of newly built stairwell opening. Another option might be to close in the stairwell from your beam up to the top of the stairs where the railing is and remove railing and post down to solid somehow.... could have gotten a much stronger beam using 12" lvl ripped to 6" and tripled or quadrupled up,though that is most likely not up to code but quite strong none the less
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
kgagnon7 (09-09-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #15

I should a added that closing it off with a wall is what I want to do. But was only gonna close off section from beam to right of beam leave railing on left side. I was thinking and I might be able to put a post in basement. It's unfinished just had a plan I will just have to rearrange layout that I wanted in basement as I hide these post in the walls.