Putting Rigid Foam On Concrete Walls...how To Lay DriCore In This Setup? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Putting rigid foam on concrete walls...how to lay DriCore in this setup?

I am starting to finish my basement and I plan on putting rigid foam all long the exterior walls. I read I should seal these with tuck tape and spray foam around the edges (which I assume means top and bottom). My question is, if I plan on laying DriCore, how do I integrate it with the foam on the walls?

DriCore first and then put up the foam and seal to DriCore at bottom (or leave open and not seal)?

Foam walls first sealed to concrete floor and DriCore up to foam walls with 1/4 gap?

If anyone knows the best way, let me know.

Thanks

Advertisement

ChaoticBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do the walls first and seal. There are many better ways to fix the floor then dricore panels. These will simply allow the moisture to sit underneath waiting for a space to enter the flooring to deteriorate it.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,468

f'n amazing, bob,,, w/o doing any moisture test, he plans to o'lay a bsmt floor ? ? ? not too bright if you ask me ! ! !

we weren't meant to use bsmts as ' living space ' 'cause we don't build them for such even if blt according to code - generally the lowest acceptable standard.

& all this time i wonder'd why there are past post just f'n amazing ! ! !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
f'n amazing, bob,,, w/o doing any moisture test, he plans to o'lay a bsmt floor ? ? ? not too bright if you ask me ! ! !

we weren't meant to use bsmts as ' living space ' 'cause we don't build them for such even if blt according to code - generally the lowest acceptable standard.

& all this time i wonder'd why there are past post just f'n amazing ! ! !
Who says I haven't done a moisture test? What's it to you anyways, I am just looking for some advice on the best way to put the walls and lay the floor.
ChaoticBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

Welcome to the forum! Here are two articles, you have other choices and can search topics by the same author:

From: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ts?full_view=1 Hope this helps!
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,468

w/o a moisture test, how would you know what type of floor covering/treatment would be acceptable ? ? ?

have seen too many jobs where expediency got in the way of common sense - h/o's & diy'ers relying on ' feelings ' & tv shows compared to facts,,, its your house so do what you want,,, you came looking for advice - don't take mine

have a nice thanksgiving !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss View Post
I am starting to finish my basement and I plan on putting rigid foam all long the exterior walls. I read I should seal these with tuck tape and spray foam around the edges (which I assume means top and bottom). My question is, if I plan on laying DriCore, how do I integrate it with the foam on the walls?

DriCore first and then put up the foam and seal to DriCore at bottom (or leave open and not seal)?

Foam walls first sealed to concrete floor and DriCore up to foam walls with 1/4 gap?

If anyone knows the best way, let me know.

Thanks
Were you ever able to figure out the proper way of installing the rigid foam on the walls and the dricore. If the dricore is laid first with a 1/4 gap against the foundation wall then the foam, the air gap would behind the rigid foam. I think the gap is only for expansion purposes. Then you can build the walls right on top of the dricore. According to the dricore website, you can use 2 inch screws to attach the wall to the dricore and then two 3 inch tapcons per 8 foot length.

Im trying to figure out the same answer, the above I got from the Holmes on Homes forum.

T.L.
ctkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

It's in the instructions (Figure 2.1)...foam first against the concrete, then DriCore panels up to that...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #9

I have read the instructions, I have read some debate over the question of putting/building the walls directly on top of the dricore.

Should the insulation be: foam board against concrete foundation, then the stud wall then the dricore up to the stud wall wall or should it be: dricore up to concrete wall, foam board over the dricore with stud wall on top of the dricore.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #10

Option II...you don't want to stud a wall directly onto concrete.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #11

Do I spray foam the seam where the rigid foam and dricore meet? Cut it like 1/4 or 1/2 short and then fill the gap with spray foam or can i cut it tight and seal the seal with some type of silicone caulk since the dricore is a floating system?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #12

Either one; depends how much room there is.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

Reviving an old thread becasue I'm in the middle of figuring out the same thing. My thread here Basement insulation and DRIcore

I contacted DRIcore and they told me to leave a 1/4" gap between the Rigid foam and DRIcore, then spray foam that gap. Anyone do this with good results? I think this would work but if the dricore expands and contracts will this break the sprayfoam seal?

Last edited by mrtn; 09-12-2012 at 04:12 PM.
mrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

That is possible but usually you spray enough to compensate for such issues. Bigger issue is the foamboard against the wall. Impossible to get enough tightness to prevent moisture being trapped behind it. You need R15 tight against the concrete to prevent this (in New England zone) Which is 2" closed cell foam.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #15

You're talking spray foam now? Or 2" rigid xps?

Advertisement

mrtn is offline   Reply With Quote