Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Electrical Enthusiast

Share |

Putting House wrap on old house.

The house in question was built in the early seventies, in the southern United States (Hot summers, cool winters). It has plywood siding and paneling on the inside. I changed out a through-the-wall air conditioner and noticed that there is no tar paper or any other "housewrap" on the outside, just some black particle board and siding on top of that.

I am planning on doing some remodeling, and maybe changing siding in the next couple of years. If I do, should I look into putting some Tyvek housewrap or some felt onto the house?

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

yes as this is your weather barrier to prevent moisture that makes it way through the siding from entering your walls.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #3

That black "Partical board" is really called fiberboard.
http://inspectapedia.com/structure/F..._Sheathing.htm
Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Electrical Enthusiast

Was if normal to skip a felt layer back then? Or is this just likely a builder mess-up?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #5

My guess would be that the builder just skipped it and got away with it. There's a housing development here that was built by a large local builder just five years ago. Huge colonial-style houses that sold then for $300K and up. Last year's derecho wind blew some vinyl siding off of about a dozen of them. Guess what? No house wrap on any of them (and the sheathing is OSB). Obviously, somebody got paid off - when I built my house here, there was a specific inspection to verify the presence of house wrap.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Electrical Enthusiast

Yes the house is in a rural area, so I doubt there was any sort of inspection at the time it was built.

Those derecho winds are something else, we had one through here about ten years ago, did some serious damage.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
Those derecho winds are something else, we had one through here about ten years ago, did some serious damage.
Until last year's came through, I had never even heard of a derecho. There'd never been one anywhere near here before. Fortunately, our house was untouched and we didn't even lose any trees. Ours is a log house we built by ourselves, which has now survived a derecho, an earthquake, a small tornado (yes, even WV has them once in a while), and 5 feet of snow standing on the roof, all with no damage. Guess we must've built it right.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Electrical Enthusiast

We had never heard of one either. I remember it ripped a front of a building off in the city. Out Here it just took down a bunch of trees and power lines. People didn't have electricity for two weeks.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
Out Here it just took down a bunch of trees and power lines. People didn't have electricity for two weeks.
That's our biggest worry. We've never lost power for that long, but do lose it for a few days every winter. And since ours is a rural, mountainous area in Eastern WV, if there's more than about a foot of snow, we're snowed in for a while. Having a wood stove, we won't freeze, but without power to the well pump, we have no water (well, I guess we could melt snow on the wood stove).
Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Electrical Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk

That's our biggest worry. We've never lost power for that long, but do lose it for a few days every winter. And since ours is a rural, mountainous area in Eastern WV, if there's more than about a foot of snow, we're snowed in for a while. Having a wood stove, we won't freeze, but without power to the well pump, we have no water (well, I guess we could melt snow on the wood stove).
Most of the people who were out for that long were actually in the city. The problem was crime went up drastically because everybody was in the dark. We have some land in the country, and they had power restored in three days.
I think they may have an "incentive" to get it on faster, because everyone has wells.
We bought a generator after that; what concerns me there is there's always a risk that gas stations are out or some other reason.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #11

Yes, we have a generator too. But our well is over 700 feet deep so it wouldn't come close to powering the pump. When needed, we just hook it up to the RV parked outside and "camp" for a few days.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Electrical Enthusiast

Whatever works