Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Putting creek rock on concrete block.

I need some advice from a hard core masonary man. And I'm about to start this rock job, as the block work is done and it's my home, the rocks are in a pile ,scaffeling in place, but I need advice on what kind of mortor to use,as I have fine sand to mix with it. This is an outside chimney five feet wide and 16 feet high, but does narrows down to 32 inches wide nearing the top. The creek rock varies in size from five inches diameter to 16 inches diameter and all from 3/4 inch to 1 and a half inches thick. I have a very thick footer for all this weight so no problem there. And what do you think of mixing black water base paint to darken up the grout? Any thoughts from anybody will be appreciated.

bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

First of all, are these real stone (natural sawn thin veneer) or cultured stone (cast lightweight concrete) ?

If you can fill that info in, I'd be glad to help.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

This rock I have is genuine creek rock retrieved from a creek bed. The rock is reasonable flat on one side. I'm in the hills of Kentucky and this rock I have is on the gray tones, and lots of fossils of shells, bones and the like.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #4

Use regular Type N mortar, made by mixing 1 bag of Type N masonry cement with 3 five gallon buckets of your fine sand. If you want to color the grout, get some dry Iron oxide pigment to mix with the mortar. Do not use carbon black or latex paint.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #5

Thanks ......I now have the courage to start this project, will post pictures later
Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Follow Tscar's info, or you can also try to locate pre-mixed Type N or S that is factory blended with color, or even a complete pre-mix mortar that has the color. Far easier to control the color through-out the whole job, especially when your mixing small batches at a time.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote