Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Pull string through blown cellulose

I'm having blown cellulose put in my basement ceiling which will pose a problem since that is where my main panel is as well.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a pull string through blown cellulose? Does it work, or is the cellulose too dense? I was thinking putting in a few pull strings before the cellulose is put in is my beat option.

Any advice also on pull strings that are less likely to snap, had a few of those recently.

Thanks

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,906

???? Pull strings to pull what?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
I'm having blown cellulose put in my basement ceiling which will pose a problem since that is where my main panel is as well.
Your electrical panel is in the ceiling?

I am not getting your message. Could you explain or otherwise reword it?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

I think he wants to use the strings to pull new electric lines to the panel sometime in the future.
I use mason line. It's very strong. Sometimes I use a PVC chase to run the lines in, especially if the wall has insulation.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,084

If you have specific plans, maybe install some conduit before filling the bay? Or use fiberglass in the affected bay?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

Sorry about being unclear earlier, I have my main power panel in the garage on a wall. The garage walls facing the house will be filled with spray foam while the ceiling is going to be filled with blown cellulose. I know getting through spray foam is near impossible without digging a path, and in my experience fiber glass tends to snag stuff and it's not loose so you can't go through it.

I just don't know what to expect from blown cellulose, and I've looked at conduits and I might run some 1 inch ID water proof outdoor stuff but I'm just trying to understand all my options and if a regular pull string will work to get through the path ( really just up and over a wall, 5 feet with one or 2 turns) or if I'm hosed and the blown cellulose will snag pull strings.

I was thinking access panels with some conduit, but I realized I won't be able to open access panels as all the cellulose would just fall out.

Thanks for the help, I'll look into the masons line.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

Pulling the line through any substace will incurr resistance. Why worry about the theoretical nature of wire and cellulose when you can just install the conduit and avoid the issue?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #8

I've looked into conduit and my concern is 1) the wire limits, I read somewhere on here that the limit is one 12/2 per 1 inch conduit, which stinks. And 2) the access on the garage side would all be coming down the ceiling which I can't do with the cellulose since it'd be a hole for the material to come out. I might do some 1 inch flex conduit to provide a safety. A guy at home depot suggested stripping the mm sheath before it enters the flex conduit would be to code and then I'd be able to put more through. Thoughts on idea?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with the many of the replies that using some sort of conduit or pipe would be the best. However, if you do choose to use a "string" instead, use wire instead of string or rope. A left-over length of 12/2 or 14/2 NM cable will yield 3 pull wires. Be sure to label them appropriately.
Bicoronal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
mem

Rewards Points: 154

If it's that short of a run why not just string up a few lengths of actual cable now instead of pull strings or conduit. Mark each end of each length for ease of ID later and terminate all in a job box at both ends.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,084

Backing up just a bit, in case nothing else trips your trigger, when I suggested fiberglass in the affected bay, I did not mean to suggest trying to pull cable through it, but rather to hold the fiberglass in place with lightning rods (there's another name for them too, which escapes me right now, but the wires to hold it in place), then an access panel, so that when you want to add anything you open it up, drop the insulation completely out of the way, do what you need, put the fiberglass back, and button it up. Complete access that way.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote