Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #1

Share |

Pull down attic stairs will not close completely

I have a set of pull down attic stairs that work great except that when they are in the closed position, there is an opening of about an inch to and an inch and a half . I would like to determine what I need to adjust or fix to have them flush with the ceiling when they are closed.

gmalafarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Household Handyman

First thing I would do is to get into the attic space and have someone you can trust to let the stairs up slowly. Look as it closes to see if anything is rubbing or binding. After it is closed and still has the gap--carefully grab one or both springs and see if you can pull on them to close that extra inch. If you can you may need to adjust the spring tension. Some units have an adjustment, some don't. Pay close attention to the hinge end to see if something is binding there. Also note from the hinge end to the open end if it may be closing tighter near the hinge end and binding before the open end closes. Just before this stair closes, the panel you see from the floor should be almost parallel to the framing for the stairs.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #3

1 1/2" is a lot. I've installed them where they aren't quite evenly closed but not that much. Thurman's advice is good, there must be something preventing it from closing, unless the stairs themselves are warped. Also, check the installation to see if all sides of the stair frame are level/parallel with each other. It might have been installed crooked
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote