Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #1

Share |

Puckered Drywall tape line

I am in a 35 year old home. After stripping wall paper I have a more visible 12' tape line at eye level on my painted stairwell in the foyer. This is at least 1/16" and has a 3" wrinkle.. I know it needs to be feathered at least but can it be stripped and replaced with fibreglalss tape for a fresh start. If so do I soak and strip, peel and edge , what would be the best procedure????

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
I am in a 35 year old home. After stripping wall paper I have a more visible 12' tape line at eye level on my painted stairwell in the foyer. This is at least 1/16" and has a 3" wrinkle.. I know it needs to be feathered at least but can it be stripped and replaced with fibreglalss tape for a fresh start. If so do I soak and strip, peel and edge , what would be the best procedure????
I wouldn't strip it. Just cut out the bad spots and if necessary retape with paper tape. Then use a wide knife(spackle knife) to feather it out. Use multible thin coats rather then trying to complete it with one coat. A light sanding between coats until you're satisfied with the results. Then prime it before repainting.

retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #3

Whoever did that may have used general purpose joint compound when, in theory, he might have better used setting compound for a joint that long and at that level. Shrinkage might have casued the puckering...

But either way, it doesn't seem to be an acceptable job of taping. That joint should be feathered at least a foot or so either side, something like that. You have to be sharp with the knife tho, as setting compound sets hard, unlike general purpose which is sandable.

Personally, I would have used fibreglass tape there...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote