Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

PTP deck board quality

I had a deck put on off my kitchen walkout in late November. 14x20 PTP with Cedar trim & aluminum balusters. Guy did a great looking job on the deck overall. Now that the snow and ice have melted and i've had a good chance to look closely at it, i'm questioning the "quality" of some of the deck boards that were used. One plank has a large, partially rotted out knot in it at one end and a smaller rotted knot at the other end. Another plank has about 12 inches on the side of it that appear rotted/splintered/damaged. Another has a 6 inch crack running lengthwise down the board that is probably an eighth of an inch wide. Unfortunately these boards are just about in the middle of my deck and stick out like a sore thumb, at least to me they do. I haven't called the contractor yet. Do I have a legitimate gripe, or am I being too picky and this is what you get with PTP?

sk8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

PTP deck board quality

Wood doesn't rot in 6 months. Sounds like it was installed that way. Any reason you didn't mention it to the contractor during the job or at the time the final check was written?
It can't hurt to call him back. It sounds like it might be a quick fix and unless you drove him nuts while he was there, he should come back and fix it under warranty.
It just seems odd to install damaged material on a new deck, it makes no sense.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

PTP deck board quality

I definitely think it was installed that way. Just damaged boards to begin with. I never really had a chance to thoroughly inspect the deck like I wanted to. By the time the deck was completed in December there was a foot or more of snow and ice on everything. I didn't drive him too nuts while out, only asked a few basic questions as progress was made. He worked by himself and took 5 weeks to complete what I was told originally was gonna be 2. Part of the delay was weather related, but not all. I really didn't care since I couldn't use the deck until Spring anyway.
sk8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

PTP deck board quality

It all revolves around the boards and the material. We won't install deck boards that are in poor shape. If it's a delivered load of lumber, we generally will return the poor boards to the lumber yard.

Call the contractor and see what he says.

I know if a past client called us about an issue like that (poor material) on a deck that we built, we'd be over lickety-split and replace those boards. It's actually happened more than once, dependant on who (on our crew) installed the deck boards.

Hopefully, if the issues are just poor material, that's ll be the same for you.

Good Luck.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote