Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

PT wood needed on concrete walls too, right?

While redoing some of previous homeowners work in a basement, I found some framing that looks good but I ran into something that I'm unsure about.

They used mostly metal studs for framing, but in a small closet area (I believe an addition) they used pressure treated wood on everything on the ground. But the back wall against the concrete foundation had 1-by furring strips held in with tapcons directly onto the concrete wall.

I know the floor HAS to use PT wood, but doesn't ANY wood touching concrete need PT wood?

On the concrete basement, they drylok'd the walls, did good work on making the water run away from the house, so the basement hasn't leaked in 2 years.

The reason i say that is because I don't see any issue at all yet. But, I know concrete absorbs water and it can rot the floor... Is a wall the same, or does it not need it since the moisture would run downward?

Thanks in advance!

JM

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

all wood in contact with concrete must be pressure treated, rot resistant or have some form contact break between it and the concrete. be it sil gasket or plastic

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk
all wood in contact with concrete must be pressure treated, rot resistant or have some form contact break between it and the concrete. be it sil gasket or plastic
I was going to pull out the nails on the bottom, "swing" the studs out a couple inches, and then pry up the board and slide in a replacement.

Is there a way to "slide in" a barrier, like plastic or even cutting one side off a metal stud (to make it an "L" shape instead of "C" shaped) and notch out 1/4" for the screws?

I'm happy to do it the first way, but of that's overkill, I'm game for a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

"I know the floor HAS to use PT wood, but doesn't ANY wood touching concrete need PT wood?" ------ No, not in the U.S.

Only the bottom plate on stem wall or slab. Not against the walls in a vertical position, check locally with AHJ, to be sure. Number 7, here:
http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec017.htm

Gary
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

i didnt check the code reference, but the only time i can see it not applying is for party walls or any other concrete that isnt below grade where it can wick up moisture
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote