DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   PT Wood end treatment - no one local carries it, alternatives? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/pt-wood-end-treatment-no-one-local-carries-alternatives-140730/)

Quicksmoke 04-19-2012 12:22 AM

PT Wood end treatment - no one local carries it, alternatives?
 
Been going crazy trying to find a lumber yard or building supply company that carries something like the copper green wood preservative. No one has it, or has even heard of it!!

I live over in central jersey, middlesex county area and so far no luck.

I'm curious if there are alternatives that can be used and just as good, something like a normal wood sealer, or an oil for hardwoods like IPE? Any other ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Nailbags 04-19-2012 12:44 AM

Jassco # 9 brown or green will do it for you.

joecaption 04-19-2012 12:53 AM

That is it your really trying to do?
Differant woods and differant places it's going to be used would be treated differantly.
IPE does not even really need a sealer.

No form of surface apply treatment is going to work as well as real pressure treated wood. The key is it's pressure treated, which means it's forced deeper into the wood not just laying on the surface.

Quicksmoke 04-19-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 902171)
That is it your really trying to do?
Differant woods and differant places it's going to be used would be treated differantly.
IPE does not even really need a sealer.

No form of surface apply treatment is going to work as well as real pressure treated wood. The key is it's pressure treated, which means it's forced deeper into the wood not just laying on the surface.

Preservative may be forced into the wood, but it doesn't get forced through 100% of the board. Need to treat the cut ends where the preservative didn't penetrate. The area I'm in is notorious for termites, so I need to take every precaution I can to try and protect the PT wood.

Done That 04-19-2012 12:13 PM

Black Flag termin 8 copper green at Lowes in my area.

cibula11 04-19-2012 12:42 PM

could paint on water proofing tar (the kind that is painted on foundation)....or wrap the posts in something like "ice and water barrier" which is applied on roofing applications.

Not sure why you would need to do all of this?

cortell 04-19-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 902402)
could paint on water proofing tar (the kind that is painted on foundation)....or wrap the posts in something like "ice and water barrier" which is applied on roofing applications.

Not sure why you would need to do all of this?

Without treating the end cuts of PT lumber for some lumber species (see below), the cut area is vulnerable to termites and rot. The OP is simply trying to find the right product.

Tar or ice-and-water shield on an end cut that's going to be visible is going to look quite ugly. Even if it's not visible, tar is messy, and a moisture membrane is both cumbersome and relatively expensive.

That said, most PT lumber are of species that do not require field treatment. According to American Wood-Preservers' Standard M4-06:

6.2 Lumber and timbers Lumber and timbers with a nominal thickness of 150 mm (6 inches) or less which are used in above ground applications and are of a sapwood species such as southern, red or ponderosa pine, generally do not require field treatment to provide a good service life. However, material with narrow sapwood faces or having heavy heartwood in cross section should be field treated in accordance with Section 6.1 when cut or drilled. When lumber is from a heartwood species such as hem-fir, larch or Douglasfir, it should be field treated in accordance with Section 6.1.

cibula11 04-19-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cortell (Post 902471)
Without treating the end cuts of PT lumber for some lumber species (see below), the cut area is vulnerable to termites and rot. The OP is simply trying to find the right product.

Tar or ice-and-water shield on an end cut that's going to be visible is going to look quite ugly. Even if it's not visible, tar is messy, and a moisture membrane is both cumbersome and relatively expensive.

That said, most PT lumber are of species that do not require field treatment. According to American Wood-Preservers' Standard M4-06:

6.2 Lumber and timbers Lumber and timbers with a nominal thickness of 150 mm (6 inches) or less which are used in above ground applications and are of a sapwood species such as southern, red or ponderosa pine, generally do not require field treatment to provide a good service life. However, material with narrow sapwood faces or having heavy heartwood in cross section should be field treated in accordance with Section 6.1 when cut or drilled. When lumber is from a heartwood species such as hem-fir, larch or Douglasfir, it should be field treated in accordance with Section 6.1.

Sorry, must have missed the OP stating it was going to be seen. I guess I just can't picture how a cut end of a 4x4 would be seen, and also exposed to so much moisture as to have to treat it a second time???

cortell 04-19-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11 (Post 902484)
Sorry, must have missed the OP stating it was going to be seen. I guess I just can't picture how a cut end of a 4x4 would be seen, and also exposed to so much moisture as to have to treat it a second time???

Where does he say it's a 4x4? Anyway, it's mostly a moot point. The vast majority of PT lumber is pine which doesn't need end cuts treated. And if he does need it, another poster pointed him to a suitable product.

woodworkbykirk 04-19-2012 08:03 PM

your not the only one trying to find "END CUT" i use to be able to buy it and pentox both at my local lumberyards plus 2 of the 3 big box.. just in the last month the lumber yard no longer has it. nor does the two big box.. suddenly though home depot who we dont buy through has it..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved