Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

PT posts for beam support

Let me just double check something real quick please... I can get 6x6 PT posts that are rated for ground contact at $19.97 for an 8' length or not rated for ground contact at $15.97. These are going into galvanized simpson brackets set into concrete at the bottom. The top of the concrete footings are level with the ground. (And will have drainage put in on 3 sides)

Am I correct in assuming I don't need the ground contact and can go with the less expensive post?

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
Let me just double check something real quick please... I can get 6x6 PT posts that are rated for ground contact at $19.97 for an 8' length or not rated for ground contact at $15.97. These are going into galvanized simpson brackets set into concrete at the bottom. The top of the concrete footings are level with the ground. (And will have drainage put in on 3 sides)

Am I correct in assuming I don't need the ground contact and can go with the less expensive post?
The brackets should keep the wood off the ground. How many posts are we dealing with where $4.00 per post is an issue?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (03-26-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
I ask the impossible!

It's the difference between starting this weekend or putting it off to the next weekend. There are 7 posts per beam and I'm getting 3 posts per 8' board. So I'd need 3 to build up the one beam I'm planning to build this weekend. The extra $12 is enough to put me over budget. I'm also getting the 2x10's for the beam and a box of framing nails.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

Are the cheap ones structural wood or are those actually landscape timbers?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
I ask the impossible!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

As far as I can tell the non-ground contact is treated with ACQ and the ground contact is treated with CA. Both indicate use for decks.

Lowes only has 1 6x6x8 listed at $19.95 and it's treated with ACQ and rated for ground contact.

Last edited by WillK; 03-26-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
It's the difference between starting this weekend or putting it off to the next weekend. There are 7 posts per beam and I'm getting 3 posts per 8' board. So I'd need 3 to build up the one beam I'm planning to build this weekend. The extra $12 is enough to put me over budget. I'm also getting the 2x10's for the beam and a box of framing nails.
You need special fasteners for pressure treated wood. Hot dipped galvanized or stainless steel. The wood will "eat" regular nails in a year or so.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote