Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Protective Sill Cover - What is it???

Does anyone know what a protective sill cover is? I am looking at purchasing Jeld Wen exterior doors for my new home addition and one of the options is a "protective sill cover." The problem is, the door is $496 and the cost to add on the protective sill cover is $252... half the cost of the door. The folks at HD had no idea what it was, but I cannot figure out if it is an expensive scam, like undercoating on a car, or something that could really be important.

Any ideas???

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #2

only time i used protective sill covers was in new construction to protect sills from traffic during building. they were plastic and a couple of dollars and disposable. sounds hinky to me, how would you adjust the sill?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #3

TPolk- That's my thinking, really, but wanted to avoid making a big mistake. It seems like too big of an upcharge not to take seriously, but it just didn't make any sense.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
Does anyone know what a protective sill cover is? The problem is, the door is $496 and the cost to add on the protective sill cover is $252... half the cost of the door. .
Any ideas???
Someone is missing a decimal point in the price sheet. This is just a moulded piece of plastic that is snapped over the aluminum sill to protect from wear and tear during construction. Most manufacturers ship them installed as a matter of course, without having to be special ordered, definately not a $200 plus item.
At end of job, you pull them off, and the sill is unscratched and not full of paint splatter.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 04-03-2010 at 07:55 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #5

Thanks guys! The guy at HD or Lowes, not sure which, used some Jeld Wen design software, but it must have been wrong.

So, the actual price, $496 for a 36" half light steel door with side light seems about right? Even if $252 for the protective sill plate is off?