Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Protecting a Sill Plate

Bottom row of cedar siding on one side of my house is only 1 inch above the soil - a 10 foot section of it is actually under gravel and soil. Pulled some siding off to repair dry rot and realized particle board and sill plate are only inches above grade. Aside from totally regrading, what are my best options? I have considered flashing, rubberized ice shield, digging soil/gravel away, replacing bottom row of siding with cement board. . . there are gutters and I keep them clean. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Protecting a Sill Plate-100_4530.jpg   Protecting a Sill Plate-100_4528.jpg   Protecting a Sill Plate-100_4529.jpg  

Last edited by mnelson; 05-09-2013 at 10:54 AM.
mnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #2

Protecting a Sill Plate

#1 Please go back and add your location to your profile, just got to Quick links to edit.
#2 Go back and post some pictures. No one here can see what your seeing.
# It's code that any sheathing and or siding must be 6" above grade, guess you see why now.
With some pictures we can make some suggestions on how to make the best of what you have.
Bet it's OSB not partical board, a big differance.

mnelson (05-09-2013)