Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262
Question

Protecting plumbing behind walls

I have a small area in my basement where the plumbing runs through the brick and block and up the side of the wall but is no more than an inch and a half or so from the drywall mounting slats. I want to protect the plumbing from unintentional punctures or damage from an errant screw or nail (maybe someone might not know about the plumbing). What is the best way to achieve this?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Anytime your supply or DWV plumbing penetrates a wood plate or stud, it must be protected if it is within 1.5" of the face of the stud. That is accomplished with nail plates. Small plates are ok for use on studs, but top and bottom plate penetrations require plates that project at least 2" above the bottom plate or 2" below the bottom of the top plate.

If your concern is protecting the pipes that are close to the drywall but don't necessarily pass through structural members, you can pretty much do it however you want. In order to be effective, the metal will need to be thick enough to prevent someone from running a screw into it.

If it is really a concern you could always switch to galvanized or cast iron for that section of pipe.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Anytime your supply or DWV plumbing penetrates a wood plate or stud, it must be protected if it is within 1.5" of the face of the stud. That is accomplished with nail plates. Small plates are ok for use on studs, but top and bottom plate penetrations require plates that project at least 2" above the bottom plate or 2" below the bottom of the top plate.

If your concern is protecting the pipes that are close to the drywall but don't necessarily pass through structural members, you can pretty much do it however you want. In order to be effective, the metal will need to be thick enough to prevent someone from running a screw into it.

If it is really a concern you could always switch to galvanized or cast iron for that section of pipe.
I know about nail plates I am more concerned about plumbing that is just sitting behind the drywall. I know I can do whatever I want, the question is what is best to use? should I buy metal plates and mount them to the back of the drywall? Or maybe some PVC, not really sure what to do or if I should even bother to do anything.
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I can see your concern about protecting your pipes now before you install the drywall. BUT I would not worry about it. Every house including yours has pipes behind the drywall somewhere. Its really nothing to worry about, BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,244

Tripower, for your own information, you could do what a lot of us are doing these days. Take digital photos of everything so that you know where things are. My rapidly aging memory is failing more every day, the photos fix all that.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote