Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Share |

Pros and cons to wood vs steel I beam framing buildings

Looking to build another building. Kind of considering wood just because wood seems cheaper right now and steel is still going up. Building will be 80x150x18 and approx 2:12 pitch. Have considered pole frame, conventional stud wall, and steel I beam free span.

On wood, I would want to design a roof truss that would be nearly free span. Building will be subject to high winds mostly. I want a quality building that will be there for a lifetime. Will be insulated and climate controlled.

I am also trying to find a supplier for corrugated metal panels if anyone has any reference there.

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
DIY staff

Pros and cons to wood vs steel I beam framing buildings

You're out of my league with a structure of that size----However a location would be helpful--

Someone her might be able to suggest a truss maker or sheeting supplier that is local.