DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Properly waterproofing horizontal gable board

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Tom Struble 
#1 ·
My home currently has painted lap board (not sure what species) on all faces, but I am considering breaking up the look with a horizontal board (maybe 2x6?) that would isolate the gables, where I would install cedar shake siding. I imagine the look and color scheme to be very similar to this home.

I am wondering how do you waterproof the head of that horizontal board where the shake siding would obviously sit back over the top of the board? My first guess would be to bend a piece of steel into an L-shaped or Z-shaped flashing and install on top of the horizontal board. Thanks in advance.

#3 · (Edited)
the horizontal piece would be called a gable skirt board and usually lines up with the houses fascia/ soffit at roof height. the piece that goes over the skirt board is called a drip cap, it sits on top and has an angle similar to a window seal.the cedar siding sits upon the drip cap. you can get the drip cap in metal, cpvc , or if matching the original house maybe cut your own out of treated 1x material. a tip if making your own drip cap, 11 to 15 degrees works best for the watershed angle

#2 · (Edited)
Use a piece of 1 X 6 vinyl lumber with a strip of Z moulding on top or it. Add a strip or two of vinyl lattis to kick out the cedar siding behond the vinyl lumber.
May want to think about using Cedar Impressions instead of real cedar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.