Proper Way To Use Muratic Acid For Basement Cement Block. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Proper way to use muratic acid for basement cement block.

Hi All,

I have some mold and efflorescence on my concrete block basement walls. I plan on using Drylok on the walls so I need these blocks to be completely cleaned and etched.

What is the proper way to apply the acid? Plastic hand pump pressure sprayers or in a bucket using a hard bristle brush?

Thanks

Advertisement

Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 624

The muriatic isn't the stuff you want to remove mold.

Why do you think you have efflorvescense or whatever on your walls?

As far as applying it on your walls, I've never applied it on concrete block walls. Usually noone cares if they are cleaned of mortar or not. They are going to suck the stuff up like a giant sponge. In other words, as you apply the acid wash, you are going to hear a giant sucking sound, and it will not be american jobs going to Mexico.

I would try the garden sprayer. First, saturate the wall with water from a garden hose. Now hit it with the acid, then just spray it down with water and broom it all towards the sump pit. Rinse it with a lot of water. If you feel like you want to work it over with a brush, then go ahead and do this before you rinse of course.

You may want to have some helpers:

water sprayer
acid sprayer/scrubber
broomer

good luck. Why do you want to paint the wall anyway?

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #3

Thanks... I guess I should just stick with the Mold Control for cleaning the cement block and use a brush. Once cleaned, then I can use the acid. I've read in many spots that you should use acid to ensure the block is receptive to the paint.

I'm using Drylok because we have water seepage on about 30% of the blocks. Plus, I just bought a 5 gal bucket for 130 bucks

If this isn't correct, let me know the absolute best way and I will do that instead.

Thanks again!!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Seems to me that if you dryloc inside, the blocks are still wet. Correct fix would be waterproof from the outside.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

True, but unfortunately, that isn't a possibility anymore... During the summer, we had a stamped concrete patio poured, right up against the house. Unless the cement blocks are just stained a darker color and not actually wet... When they poured the patio, they graded it very well, away from the house... Here is a picture of the darker blocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Proper way to use muratic acid for basement cement block.-378694_986689504392_23101674_40224626_425743116_n.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Wheres a concrete/masonry guy when you need him?

Just kidding.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Would another possibility be to put a thin coat of hydrolic cement (non-shrink) over the entire block wall?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100598897
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 632

No, hydrolic cement drys as fast as you can mix it.
Have you gone on Dri-Loc web site and see what they suggest?
My fear would be Muratic Acid is powerful stuff and is highly toxic. Not sure I'd want to be using it in an enclosed area.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 624

I don't see any wet concrete block. I see vertical stains left behind by the old nailers.

If you want to see if the block are wet at the bottom, take a small masonry bit and drill a hole in a core on the bottom course.

If the core is filled, move over another core. If it is full, move up a course and start over.

You can also chisel out a joint somewhere if you like.

If you want to do something nice for the wall, plaster the interior with some plaster with fiber in it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

While you already have the floor open, now is the time to drill every core at the base of the wall to relieve internal hydrostatic pressure. You'll need to use some form of "toe-board" to serve as a channel to get the water to the tile/stone.

As for the muratic, be careful when using it indoors. Ensure there's plenty of ventilation. As stated earlier, make sure to get the block saturated with water first. Rinsing everything down with a mix of baking soda & water certainly helps to nuetralize as well. And whatever you do, make sure not to put the muratic on at full strength. Start at 20:1 and see if it works, increase acid slightly to where it becomes effective.

As for the dryloc, I wouldn't bother if you really have a major water/vapor issue. It will only stop the water temporarily, and be near impossible to remove later on down the road.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #11

Do you see me now??
Attached Thumbnails
Proper way to use muratic acid for basement cement block.-381137_987764395302_23101674_40227741_294214389_n.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

I'll bet those windows allowed a ton of water in in a deluge of rain in the past, likely during the construction process, as there doesn't seem to be any staining on the floor. The window wells really should be connected to the exterior draintile to ensure they never fill up again. And if they do, Drylock on the walls isn't going to stop the windows from leaking..........
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #13

Yea. During a bad storm, I went downstairs and the left window was filled up with water and it was leaking through the window, right in the middle, where it locks... Those windows are going to be replaced as well with privacy glass block and will need to figure out a way to stop the well from filling up. Our entire back yard is a stamped cement patio, except for those 2 wells. But the house was built in 1974 and everyone else has just hid the mess instead of fixing it.

Here's a picture of the window wells from the outside:
Attached Thumbnails
Proper way to use muratic acid for basement cement block.-251254_811024927612_23101674_38974284_560262_n.jpg  

Last edited by Trucon01; 01-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Just so you know, glass block aren't 100% waterproof either, they're prone to leaks around the perimeter as well in they're submerged underwater.

For the wells, you need to take a hand post hole digger and dig a small hole ALL the way down to the exterior draintile. When you're close, you should find a little bit of stone covering it. Backfill the hole with a pipe filled with clean washed stone, place a little landscape fabric in the bottom of the well, and cover that with a few inches of the same stone.

On edit, after seeing the picture, you could also place covers over the wells if you can find the right ones.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #15

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to talk with me about this stuff. It means a lot to my fiance and I.

We were going to use the glass block windows and then special order those plastic well covers for the size of our wells. The standard covers at Lowes and HD leave big gaps.

Do you think awnings would look stupid there?

Advertisement