DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Proper Way To Install Siding

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kwikfishron 
#1 ·
I currently have OSB Smart Board installed on my garage (25 miles north of Houston, TX). Improper protection of the ends of the siding at the bottom has resulted in deterioration and it really looks bad.

Rather than remove the Smart Board and install anew, I would like to simply install Hardiplank (with vertical grooves like the Smart Board).

Is this feasible and if so, what is the proper way to do it? I'm 81 years young and have no real desire to do this myself, but I want to know what should be done before I contract this installation by others.

Thanks,

JLD

#2 ·
I’m assuming you are talking about 4’x8’ sheets of siding that you have now and you want to use 4’x8’ Hardi sheets.

Yes you can go over the top. If there is any rotted portions of your existing siding those areas should be repaired first. Remove the corner boards and wrap the building in 30lb felt and install the Hardi. You may reuse the old corners if in good shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.