Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Proper way to install outside vents

I probably should have askd this BEFORE doing this project, but figured I'd ask anyway to make sure I did ok.

Had to install 2 5" vents so I made the holes in the brick and the joist cavity to get to the basement. I could not find a masonry hole bit anywhere so I ended up just making a bunch of holes and chipping away, so not exactly a perfectly round hole.

Once I could get the vent to fit in I plastered some hydraulic cement all around and pushed the vent in. Once the cement cured I then pulled the vent back out slightly and used PL premium around the pipe of the vent and also around the vent face itself. I'm waiting for it to cure and wont touch it till tomorrow, but I'm hoping this will hold. Think this is fine, or should I also caulk around it? Right now the PL premium is sorta acting as the caulk. It's the only spot I could get a good surface contact so that it sticks. Will that stuff be waterproof against driving rain, or should I caulk over?

Should I have used spray foam instead?

This is the end result:

It's not too late to pull it out unless the construction adhesive really takes good, in that case then I can just put "35 year" caulk around the seam. I also purposely left out the bottom, in case any water does get in, it should hopefully exit instead of accumulate and get in behind the brick. I did not want to use the screw holes as I've never had good luck with tapcons as far as pull strenght so did not bother even trying, the way the brick was cracking I don't think I woulod have ended up with a clean hole anyway.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

when I changed my dryer vent ( brick house also) I used the OSI clear to seal around the backside of vent to the brick. I loaded the back of the flange up and mooshed the vent into place and used a masonry bit to drill the holes and then screw it off. I then pulled the mooshed out caulk smooth and re caulked any voids, let set up a few days and checked it for any spots I might have missed.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

You are probably fine.

If you wanted to seal between the brick and the vent, you can still do that but use some stucco tape to give yourself a nice hard line to caulk to so that you don't smear it on the brick.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

I found that after a while, those flapper vents get clogged, especially during Winter, and do not close all the way. I went with a Mushroom style vent, so that it would drop the cup that sits over the outlet, and stop any air leakage too and from the home.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Actually that reminds me I still need to put a screen in there. I have a plastic bag shoved in the pipe in the other end though but once I hook everything up I'll want to make sure no bugs get in there. The closest one is an intake too so it would probably suck them right in. That's all I need, a spider decides to lay eggs in the filter or something.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I found that after a while, those flapper vents get clogged, especially during Winter, and do not close all the way.
same here, those are crap. my laundry room was cold, with this vent on the drier.
i put one of these in. it has a round flap door in there.
http://www.imperialgroup.ca/product/...ard_medium.jpg
now the laundry room is nice and warm.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
same here, those are crap. my laundry room was cold, with this vent on the drier.
i put one of these in. it has a round flap door in there.
http://www.imperialgroup.ca/product/...ard_medium.jpg
now the laundry room is nice and warm.
That is what I used to have, and still clogs with lint, when it gets a little wet at that point. That is why I went with the Mushroom style. Bad thing is, you can only get them in cheap plastic. My son broke the lid off of ours, when he was mowing, by not paying attention, so I ended up using Metal tape to hold the lid on.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

This is all they had as far as 5" vents go.

What exactly does it clog with, bugs and stuff? I suppose I can just make sure to clean it regularly.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
This is all they had as far as 5" vents go.

What exactly does it clog with, bugs and stuff? I suppose I can just make sure to clean it regularly.
Lint if dryer, furnace & water heater, spiderwebs any leaves or grass, that may be blown against.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
Wire Chewer

Oh I see, yeah I could see spider webs easily get out of control, my house seems to attract spiders LOL. Though I do spray the walls and it keeps them at bay. I find dead ones hanging in webs sometimes, pretty funny. I'll have have to be sure to clean them out then. The intake will probably be the one that tends to attract more stuff. This is for a custom air exchange system for my server room and it will also have a filter.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

mine doesn't clog at all. though i do keep an eye on it.

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote