Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #1

Share |

Proper way to add a loft

I ahve a 12'x17' shed/woodshop with an a frame roof. I would like to add loft space for storage, though I haven't decided if I don't actually want to put in a whole upper floor space essentially making it a second floor, albeit a very short second floor

My first inclination is to simple lagbolt 2"x6"x12' to each stud and then screwing down plywood on top. I question if that is secure enough, and should I jackstud under each 2x6 like beneath a header.

After speaking with some people who all had ideas from the ridiculous to the sublime, the idea was suggested that I attach a 2x6 to the wall and another one parallel to it some distance out (for sake of example let's say 4') lag bolted to the studs, then using joist hangers build it up like one would a deck. The idea was that the shorter span for most of the boards could allow use of smaller boards ie 2x4 because they would only span 4'. In this case the two initial parallel boards would definitaly be jack studded I assume. I wasnt all sure that was much better because it seemed, at least for the first board, it would have to be lag bolted into the edge of the 2x4 studs ... or would 3 big old deck screws every 16 incles make it secure enough?
BradleySmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Full time DIY

Proper way to add a loft

You don't say where you are located. In most places what you want to do requires a permit, the drawings aquired to attain the permit should detail the engineering required to securely do what you want to do.
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #3

Proper way to add a loft

I'd look to 2x8's for that span. Larger for heavy storage.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #4

Proper way to add a loft

I am in central Virginia. From my inquiry I was told that the building itself was under that which requires a building permit.

From the additional research and what I have been able to find, at 16" on center, I will need 2x8 for 12 feet span.

That said, and assuming I go with a 2x8 can I simply nail, screw or lag bolt it face to face with a 2x4 wall stud? Or would I have to jack stud below it?
BradleySmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #5

Proper way to add a loft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleySmall View Post
I am in central Virginia. From my inquiry I was told that the building itself was under that which requires a building permit.

From the additional research and what I have been able to find, at 16" on center, I will need 2x8 for 12 feet span.

That said, and assuming I go with a 2x8 can I simply nail, screw or lag bolt it face to face with a 2x4 wall stud? Or would I have to jack stud below it?
I'd put jack studs under the double 2x8 front beam and bolt a 2x6 ledger under the 2x8 floor joists on the rear wall.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote