Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Proper support


Hi guys,

I would like to install a window in an exterior wall of a ranch home. The wall that I want to put the window in is parallel to the ceiling joists. When I remove some of the existing studs in the exterior load bearing wall I don't want to cause any damage to the structure of my home. How would I properly support the structure before I do this? I know what to do if the ceiling joists were perpendicular to the wall and I understand how building a temporary wall or support to place under the perpendicular ceiling joists would support the structure so that I could remove studs from the exterior load bearing wall, but if the ceiling joists are parallel to the wall and I build a similar support and install it the same way as you would for perpendicular joists how are you then supporting the load on the exterior wall when the joists are not sitting on the wall (i.e. running parallel to the wall)????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Retired carpenter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 303
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Proper support


Put some upright 2x4s on the outside holding up the rafter tails or the fascia board.

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abracaboom For This Useful Post:
Steelhead (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Proper support


Abracaboom,

I said thank you without really thinking about what you said. This wall is under the gable end of the house so there are no rafter tails to put any supports under. The fascia board is pretty far up. Do I really want to support the wall with 2 x 4s under an angled fascia board?
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,748
Rewards Points: 2,112
Default

Proper support


if the wall is supporting only the gable end it wont be to big a deal as there isnt very much weight on it.. as long as you open things up and reframe quickly you will be fine provided there isnt another floor above
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Proper support


How big a window are you putting in?
A few pictures would sure be helpfull.
What's on the outside for siding?

If it's just a window 3' or less wide then you would not need a support wall in most cases.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Proper support


That's what I was hoping you would say. There is no second floor. Thanks!
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Proper support


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How big a window are you putting in?
A few pictures would sure be helpfull.
What's on the outside for siding?

If it's just a window 3' or less wide then you would not need a support wall in most cases.

I'm in the planning stages right now. I don't think the window will be more than three feet wide anyway. Thanks
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

Proper support


Is there other windows on that same side of the house. I try to frame a new window so they all match in height, unless it's a bathroom winodw.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Proper support


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is there other windows on that same side of the house. I try to frame a new window so they all match in height, unless it's a bathroom winodw.
There are no other windows, this will be the first on this side of the house.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,273
Rewards Points: 2,124
Default

Proper support


I had a similar issue when I installed a 6 foot French door on an outside bearing wall where the joists run parallel to the wall. I was in luck, there was a double top plate, so I was able to open up the wall, and remove the studs, without any need for support of the double top plate. Of course I had to install a header, and you do too, but I worked fairly quickly, and installed a steel beam on doubled jack studs tight against the double top plate. The tolerance was so tight I had to hammer the steel beam into position using a sledge hammer. Worked very nicely.

You need to VERY CAREFULLY evaluate the loads on your window, and determine if the existing framing is going to hold up temporarily while you install the header (yes, you are going to need a header). If there is limited load, and it sounds like there might be, you may not need any temporary support, as has been suggested by other. If you have only a single top plate, or you plan to remove the top plate, that requires careful attention to detail. If the existing framing is inadequate, there are various techniques for providing temporary support by installing a temporary beam in the attic above.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Proper support


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I had a similar issue when I installed a 6 foot French door on an outside bearing wall where the joists run parallel to the wall. I was in luck, there was a double top plate, so I was able to open up the wall, and remove the studs, without any need for support of the double top plate. Of course I had to install a header, and you do too, but I worked fairly quickly, and installed a steel beam on doubled jack studs tight against the double top plate. The tolerance was so tight I had to hammer the steel beam into position using a sledge hammer. Worked very nicely.

You need to VERY CAREFULLY evaluate the loads on your window, and determine if the existing framing is going to hold up temporarily while you install the header (yes, you are going to need a header). If there is limited load, and it sounds like there might be, you may not need any temporary support, as has been suggested by other. If you have only a single top plate, or you plan to remove the top plate, that requires careful attention to detail. If the existing framing is inadequate, there are various techniques for providing temporary support by installing a temporary beam in the attic above.
Thanks Daniel for all your help. I'll take all these suggestions into consideration.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Retired carpenter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 303
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Proper support


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
Abracaboom,

I said thank you without really thinking about what you said. This wall is under the gable end of the house so there are no rafter tails to put any supports under. The fascia board is pretty far up. Do I really want to support the wall with 2 x 4s under an angled fascia board?
Duh. You can take away your thank you if you want.

Ranch house, three foot opening . . . no support needed (under normal circumstances).

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Main structural support beam HELP!!! Daniel048225 Building & Construction 34 02-17-2011 12:35 AM
Alterative ways to support main beam frizbplaya Building & Construction 8 01-29-2011 12:10 AM
How to repair main support beam Jerry48ece Building & Construction 0 01-08-2011 09:38 PM
proper support for floor joists in my "man cave" mike d Building & Construction 14 04-25-2010 11:06 PM
Temporarily remove basement support post ColinD Building & Construction 14 12-04-2008 06:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.