Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #1

Share |

Proper Post on Concrete Procedure

I am thinking about building a pergola by the pool but had a quick question regarding the posts.

The area that I want to add a pergola is already concreted. I have seen the Simpson post anchors ties that goes to concrete that keeps the post 1" above any water. However, the plans that I am thinking about using calls to dig a 24" and pour concrete in the post. Is this because the foundation is not already concrete?

Please let me know what the proper way, if any, to secure the posts.

Here is the link to the pergola plans that I am referring to.
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17835

Also, how cheesy would it be to add something on the top of the pergola for complete shade? My house faces north and south with the backyard on the southside. The backyard does not get much shade unlike my front yard.
Attached Images

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You did not mention the size or your addition, but I imagine it would be near or attached to the house.

You need help if want to vary from your plans.

The requirement for the 24" deep foundation is to provide a substantial foundation for your pergola. Even without the roof covering, you need something more substantial than a metal attachement quick bolted to a slab.

Your pergola can be a liability to the neigborhood if it starts flying around during a storm. That is not to mention the damage to you property and any people near-by.

You also should make sure you have a pergola that has adequate lateral strength for wind.

If you are lucky enough to have a code requirement, you can get advice to keep you out of trouble.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Home Renovations GC

Built this canopy to code http://www.hbsohio.com/images/canopy2.jpg on a 6" slab using Simpsons. Needed footings for the canopy but they weren't required for the pergola.
If you're using the plan you provided, those posts slip over a 4 x 4 timber post, in which case they would have to go into the ground for stability. If you're using the design but solid timber posts instead then your code requirements may allow you to use Simpsons without a footing because of the lightweight nature of the structure. Would pay to ask before committing yourself.

Seen many covered pergolas around, some just with 1 x 2 slats across the structure, also seen some with a clear polycarbonate corrugated sheeting attached, the clear is available and looks cool, you can also buy it tinted, similar to this site http://www.sdplastics.com/lexcel.html , have used this type of material before. You should be able to buy it local, ranges around $2.20 per square foot.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #4

I have seen an article where they drilled in the slab and epoxied in threaded rod. On the threaded rod they attached two layers of 2" lumber cut to the diameter of a column. The rod went through these and was bolted down. The column was slipped over that and screwed to 2 inch lumber. Not sure if it is code but i used the same technique on a slab and did not have any problems
Eric Chalfont is offline   Reply With Quote