Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Proper methods to fill concrete gaps, holes, cracks and resurface concrete

I have a concrete front entryway which up until a few months ago was covered by gray "Astroturf". I removed that because it had become moldy. Underneath was the concrete in the condition you see in these pictures. I would like to do the following by myself if I can because I am currently unemployed:

1. Fill the gaps you see in the photos. There are 2-8' horizontal gaps that measure 1.5 inches and 1 inch wide respectively. There is also a 2 inch vertical gap that is approximately 8 feet wide as well. While they may not be necessary to fix for function, they do detract from the look, or potential look, of a fixed up/cleaned up patio.

--- Question--what is the best method to repair these gaps?

2. Fix the large quarter inch deep hole in the concrete, that can be seen in the photo "quarter inch deep hole..."

----- What is the best method to repair this hole?

3. Repair the small cracks that run on the top of the conrete patio. The larger one can be seen on in the photo "crack on top of patio"

----- What is the best method to repair this crack?

4. Clean up the entire horizontal and vertical surface of the pad. I was going to use a diamond tip rotory sander tool from a rental shop....would that work? There is old paint, adhesive and some small pieces of carpet still on the concrete.

5. After cleaning what do I need to do to prepare the surface for staining or painting?
Attached Thumbnails
Proper methods to fill concrete gaps, holes, cracks and resurface concrete-1and-half-inch-horizontal-gap.jpg   Proper methods to fill concrete gaps, holes, cracks and resurface concrete-2-inch-vertical-gap.jpg   Proper methods to fill concrete gaps, holes, cracks and resurface concrete-long-crack-porch.jpg   Proper methods to fill concrete gaps, holes, cracks and resurface concrete-picture-porch.jpg   Proper methods to fill concrete gaps, holes, cracks and resurface concrete-quarter-inch-deep-hole.jpg  

jzam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

1st, 4Kpsi pressure wshr & turbo nozzle,,, if that won't remove all the glue, elec grinder & diamond turbo cup wheel,,, resurface w/polymer-modified cement - we use eliteCrete - w/wither integral color OR acid-stain it.

' horizontal gaps ' don't get ' repaired ' but sealed,,, need backer rod & sealant - we use sika polysulfide OR polyurethane OR 100% silicone.

the ' divot ' will be repaired when resurfacing.

' small cracks ' that are cosmetic will be fixed by resurfacing,,, we'd v-cut the larger & fill w/epoxy loaded w/fine aggregate,,, it'd be necessary to sawcut new control jnt alongside preventing crk from reappearing.

don't waste your time w/paint - it NEVER sticks to conc,,,coatings do, NOT paint,,, 1 last point - there isn't ANYTHING that'll be a help that's avail at apron stores,,, if you're out of work & really WANT TO WORK, call your eliteCrete distributor

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I have a question about your following statement:

' horizontal gaps ' don't get ' repaired ' but sealed,,, need backer rod & sealant - we use sika polysulfide OR polyurethane OR 100% silicone.

I thought of using wire mesh as a backer but did not think I could get it deep enough. It would really have to be close to the surface which I don't think would work right?.
Where can I find the backer rod you mention? Is it similar to foam backer rod you would use in caulking, If so how do I find a piece wide enough? The widest piece I can find is 5/8 of an inch. There is really nothing for the backer rod to rest on in my scenario. It would have to be held in place somehow.

Again thank you for your help!
jzam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #4

I would tile the steps and porch.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

either buy from a pro const supply house OR twist the 5/8" til its a tight fit,,, friction/compression ' holds ' the rod in place,,, tile would work however any movement will reflect upward thru them resulting in more cracks,,, why do this job twice or more ?

i wouldn't use tile on any exterior application even in atlanta IF we were goind to stay in the home for long
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #6

What about slate? on the face of the steps could you leave a 1/4 gap and then seal the horizontal. Maybe place a mesh to support the sealant.

on a related note... the reason i was reading this post in the first place.

I have a gap/crack 10 ft long here 2 pieces of concrete meet. think of where the drive way meets the garage floor. I want to fill the gap/crack with somthing that will take a concrete stain as i want to stain both peices of concrete and am concerned.

I was thinking of filling the bottom with sikaflex self leveling sealant then applying a acrylic based tile grout or... using Sika Textured sealant.

The crack probably should be V cut... but I am not sure it is really necessary. I am looking for a solution that will hold long term and take stain...

Thanks.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

slate has no tensile strength & we've removed as much of it as we have tile,,, mesh doesn't provide the proper sealant configuration for any sealant.

that ' gap/crack ' is probably acting as a joint so NOTHING that's not flexible,,, larger backer rod & sealant - sika has colors avail.