Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Proper inside framing/insulation/vapor barrier technique

I've read for hours and I can't find any concrete information on my situation. I'm sure it's not that far out there, or maybe I just missed the right articles.

I have a small semi-detached townhouse, built in the 1920's. Double brick outside, plaster and wood lathe inside (well, it was originally). I've gutted the main floor (about 13' x 40'), and I'm planning to frame it with 2x4's, insulate it, and drywall it. I should only lose about an inch of space, since I had 4 layers of plaster/drywall there origionally.

1) What to do before framing (if anything). Should I be wrapping the interior of the house with a tyvek type material, then framing, adding insulation, vapor barrier, and drywall? I'm confident about everything except the tyvek stuff. I have exposed brick on the walls right now (since I've gutted everything else), and it's brick all the way through.
2) If I don't need the tyvek stuff, can I just put the insulation up against the brick? Can I put the wood directly up against the brick? I thought that was a no-no.

If this was a newer house that was wrapped on the outside, I'd have no questions, but this old brick stuff has confused me...

Thanks!

trevorjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 0

Proper inside framing/insulation/vapor barrier technique

Tyvek allows a home to "breath" to an extent. You will catch a lot of differing opinions, but the action I would consider id consult with a local contractor, or your building inspector. See what they have to say about it, since they will know your climate, and be familiar with any code issues you will encounter.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote