Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Share |

proper foundation for a 10x10 wood shed

We live in Atlanta. My neighborhood has loosened HOA restrictions and plans to allow small sheds. They'll be wood with shingle roof, like the pre-fab ones from Home Depot. 10x10 or maybe 12x12 would be max size.

I've been tasked with coming up with the "rules" for placement.

So, I need two recommendations for the best (and perhaps most cost-effective) way to place a shed. The first would be on flat ground, and the second on uneven ground.

A quick search shows poured concrete footers, paver stones over sand, concrete blocks to build legs for evening etc. etc. etc.

Any tips on best practice? What I uncover will likely become the rules of the land.

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
What I uncover will likely become the rules of the land.
Does this mean what information you obtain from here will become the zoning rules for all of your neighborhood HOA? If so I recommend first getting the input of your towns zoning officials and then your building officials.

Here in CT there are specific city rules and regulations regarding sheds and their placements and construction techniques. Some areas, from what I've read about here, can actually have some pretty intense restrictions and requirements.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #3

Ahh..let me reminisce about the good old days...
Go to sears, pick up Box o' Metal Shed. Stop at building supply, 2 sheets of plywood. Go home erect shed, drop in plywood and insert bricks to level. Put lawn mower inside and have a cold one.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #4

As AG said, check local building codes. Some have construction rules, some have location rules, some have both.
Our Village requires the structure has to be 5 feet from the proerty line, but no base material requirement. It also requires a permit and inspection. Some locales will tax a shed on a concrete pad, but ignore a wood framed floor.
Just make sure the rules you come up with coinside with the local codes.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

As stated above if you check with your local building dept and ask about accessory building requirements they will have several requirements regarding building a shed such as distance from adjacent structures and property lines, and roof heights. Some even have restrictions as to the roof height as it slopes away from the fence so that if your roof slopes away from the fence it can be much higher than if the gable end were next to the fence.
HOA restrictions always grandfather in the city requirements and then add to them things like size restrictions, and exterior finishes.
icreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

When I look at the prefab deals at Home Depot, They've got floor joists. I've got a very flat piece of hard-packed ground where I'm planning to put it. What's the problem with simply laying treated 4x4s crosswise on the ground, then just sitting the shed on top of it?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
I've got a very flat piece of hard-packed ground
Must define.... stone? gravel? sand? sod? good old southern red clay?

Problems: standing water/moisture, settling over time, critters digging
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #8

Putting 2 to 4 inches of gravel under the skids will solve most of those problems. If you have settling you can always add a little gravel every once in a while.
icreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Is this wire Hot?

Angry

Permits? We don't need no stinking Permits!

Out here where I live if I want to build something I just build it. If any gov'ment types come snoopin' around they might get a load of 00 buckshot. I wouldn't want them findin my still or somethin.

The gov'ment has their noses too far up everyones backsides. And "homeowners associations" are just amateurs tryin' to act like they are the gov'ment.
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I jst don't want to buy a home or any property where that philosophy is at all common. My home and investment is more important to not have some rules. - If you like the area, that is great, but I would rather be in Tidewater where I lived for a few years.

A code is just a minimum and not necessary the best way to do something.

My son built a 10x12 shed and kept under the city required 120 sf maximum, so no inspections and permits were required, except for anchorage and he could go at his own pace. The shed was on a concrete slab (strong, clean and durable). It was also had 10' high walls instead of the typical heights. He can use the walls for hanging tools and toys and still have an all-weather floor that was 100% usable all year. - Definitely above the minimum, but the best way to do it for the location and conditions. - Not what you typically find in VA/MD.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote