Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Problem with deck. Suggestions?

Okay so i am about complete with the my deck and during the process came up with an idea to reduce some of the sunlight coming from the west. Yes, i u-topped the rail posts but where the arbor piece is i cemented 12ft posts in the ground then attached them to the deck. (I also u-notched them where they meet the outer deck joist, probably shouldn't have) Anyway, the outside rail is not as stable as i would like it now.

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this? I thought about redoing the 12ft posts without notching them but don't know if that will do it or not. I also thought about running cable from the arbor to the roof with the ability to tight the wire.

Here is a pic of what i'm dealing with. I have a 4th of july party next weekend and would like this corrected before then.

Thank all for your time and help. (i probably should have posted here first!)

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #2

More pics...and are you going to put a vertical shade cloth on the arbor or what is this all about?

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marbledust For This Useful Post:
gmhammes (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

Yeah, coolaroo makes a drop shade that will go vertical on the arbor. The sun in the afternoon is bad so hopefull this will help a little. I will go take some more pics and have them up in a minute. Need any specific pics?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #4

can you show close up pics of your U-notch?

with the arbor posts cemented in the ground they should have stayed vertical all on their own and not influence the sway of the railing at all.

how deep in the cement did you put the arbor posts?

did you attach them to the deck railing BEFORE the cement dried?

did you use construction grade adhesive in the U-notch?

also, decks have a fabulously great habbit of tightening up when you continue to build... but still, it is nice to have each piece individually strong.

Knucklez
gmhammes (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
can you show close up pics of your U-notch?

with the arbor posts cemented in the ground they should have stayed vertical all on their own and not influence the sway of the railing at all.

how deep in the cement did you put the arbor posts?

did you attach them to the deck railing BEFORE the cement dried?

did you use construction grade adhesive in the U-notch?

also, decks have a fabulously great habbit of tightening up when you continue to build... but still, it is nice to have each piece individually strong.

Knucklez
Well, i agee with everything you said. i'm thinking the u-notch really made it unstable.

I did not use adhesive on the u-notch. the posts are 36 in the ground.

I know the rail should stiffen up but still would like a piece of mind.

If there is a solution to avoid taking the posts out i would really like it but that may be impossible. another solution may be to complete the arbor by adding two more posts on the deck itself and put beam on top.

Sorry i know these are all rookie mistakes so bear with me.
here are some more pics.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

there is also a gap between your arbor posts and the rim joist. how can this be when your bolts are so tight they are embedded into the wood a bit? makes me wonder if the U-notch was cut properly, or if there was something pushin on the arbor post and then when you tightened up the bolts it put pressure on whatever was giving the gap and maybe this caused the stress on the railing leading to other joints loosening?

just an observation... i don't see any concrete in the ground with the posts. maybe it is easy for you to pull them out (using a barn jack) and redo - this time with NO notch.

ps. rub some silicon caulk no the heads of your galvenized bolts so they don't discolour the wood so easy.

ps.s in my jurisdiction, notches are not allowed for railings.

Knucklez
Old 06-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #7

thanx knuckles, If the concensus is to put new posts up without notches, that is what i will do. They are cemented into the ground and it will take some digging but i will do what is necessary. Hindsight, i would not have u-notch the rails but i'm not redoing them now, except for the 3 arbor ones.

Do you think it will sturdy it up quite a bit putting new non-notched posts in?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Try getting a friend to put some pressure on the railing at the post and closely observe were the flex is coming from. If you see it moving at the top horizontal part of the notch see if you can put a nail from the underside of the deck up into the post
mark2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2007 View Post
Try getting a friend to put some pressure on the railing at the post and closely observe were the flex is coming from. If you see it moving at the top horizontal part of the notch see if you can put a nail from the underside of the deck up into the post

Thanx, it is coming from the u-notch where it meets the deck.

You think a nail or 3 inch screw would actually hold it?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #10

It will definetly stiffen it up screws have pour sheer strenght but will be easier to install I would use a galvinved 3" spirialled nail and pre-drill to minimize chance of splitting, try it at one post , you will be surprised at the results
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #11

maybe i'll give that a try. I'm kicking myself in the butt for this but am picky enough that i won't let it slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2007 View Post
It will definetly stiffen it up screws have pour sheer strenght but will be easier to install I would use a galvinved 3" spirialled nail and pre-drill to minimize chance of splitting, try it at one post , you will be surprised at the results
It did help a bit. (used the spiraled nails) still may want it a little more sturdy though. It's not like people will be sitting on it or leaning on it much but i hate seeing it sway a little if and when it is leaned on.

Grrr... (even though it is my mistake)

Really appreciate all of the quick help on this one.

Any other thoughts or suggestions before i dig these things out? Like i said, the nails did definately stiffin it up just not enough for my standards.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #12

Its a redo

the wood work you did is real fine fella
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #13

"Do you think it will sturdy it up quite a bit putting new non-notched posts in? " ------ Greatly, going from 2x4 back to 4x4 will be much more rigid: Page #16- http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 06-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
Mod

Other than your post in the ground the other key item to help stiffen it up is your rail cap.

You have it breaking on that middle post.

Is that deck under 20 feet? If so one piece that cap. If not at least break it on a post as far away from the center as you can.

Can’t tell with big black dot in the way but if that ?x4 is breaking on that post it should go too.

Getting rid of the 1” cap and go with 2x6 or even better 2x8 ( more meat left after notching for post) would go a long way to stiffening it up. 2x8 will also give you more room to spill drinks.

Do you really need the dbl. 2x10 on top? Make it 1x and lose 20lbs up there, that would help.

Notched post wasn’t the best choice but all this stuff I mentioned "I know" will help.

Getting rid of the notched post and doing the other things I mentioned is as about as good as you’re going to get it, other than going to 6x.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-27-2010 at 05:34 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gmhammes (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #15

Well you can pull spirals out and try a 5/16 lag bolt