Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Private Outdoor Courtyard, Wall of Cultured Stone

Hello All,
We are in the early planning stages of building an outdoor courtyard. Project costs and complexity of the project will ultimately determine if we move forward with our plan.

Any suggestions or comments are most welcomed. I am seeking best advise and opinion on the subject.

The courtyard will be private, with a 6.5' to 7' tall wall.
The courtyard area would be approximately 325 square feet.
The plan is to use a stamped, colored concrete floor. The 1st side of the wall would actually be the outside wall of the house, the 2nd and 3rd sides would be cinder block covered on both sides with cultured stone. The 4th side would be shorter and partly blocked with a flower bed and have an entrance way.

The new “L” shaped 2nd and 3rd sides of the wall would be the most construction and foundation intensive part of the project. Since this wall portion would be “new” construction, we want to incorporate outdoor electrical for lamps, plumbing for a water hose connection and maybe raised flower bed on the interior side of the wall.

My main question has to do with the cinder block wall covered with cultured stone. How much of a foundation would be required for a 7' tall, “L” shaped wall that runs about 25 feet in total length?

Would the same craftsmen that erect the cinder blocks also be able to install the cultured stone.
What would be a rough estimate for this kind of work?
The property is flat and there are no obstacles to remove except for some landscaping.

Thanks

Deeppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You call in local masons and get estimates and a reality check on the project.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

The footer for the wall would depend on your location (what type of gravel you have as a base) and the general purpose of the wall.

I recently built two 16 ft. long by 5 foot high retaining walls. I went a little overboard with the design/construction of the walls, but I went with a 28" W X 12" D X 16' L footer. I offset the cement block wall such that there was only 4" from the front of the footer to the start of the wall, as the back of the wall/footer would be earth covered (providing more area for the force of the earth to press down on the footer).

When I poured the footer, I measured out and put in wood dowels to create holes for rebar.* I had a hole in the footer for every opening of the cement block. For every other cement block opening, I bent a small piece of rebar and put in the footer and up into the first row of cement block.

Every 45 minutes to an hour, I would twist the dowels to make sure they didn't get stuck in the cement. After about 3-4 hours, I was able to pull out the dowels.

I then built the cement block wall, added the rebar into the holes, poured the cement to fill up the block, added a perf pipe and stone behind the wall, and back filled.

At some point we will face it with cultured stone or brick (we have cultured stone on the front of our house). Any mason who can build the cement block wall should be able to also do the cultured stone work. It's actually quite simple.

*The reason I put the dowels in to create the holes, rather than just putting the rebar in from the outset, was that it would be a pain in the ass to have to continually lift 8" block up over the rebar and then drop it back down. This allowed me to put in the long rebar after it was completed, and the final cement pour would tie the footer and all blocks in the wall together.
AgentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,390

if we can do this, so can you - less than $ .50 sf
Attached Thumbnails
Private Outdoor Courtyard, Wall of Cultured Stone-stone_house_004.jpg  
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 564

AgentW, unless you epoxied the vertical rebar in then you just pissed your money away on using them. They are supposed to transfer loads to the slab, they are not slip dowels.

For the OP, draw some plans and get pricing, that is the only way. If you want to DIY, then post a different question, this is not a contractor pricing site.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
AgentW, unless you epoxied the vertical rebar in then you just pissed your money away on using them. They are supposed to transfer loads to the slab, they are not slip dowels.
That's exactly what it does, since they end up bonded to the footer when the entire walls are filled with cement. Also the rebar goes through the entire footer and into slight into the ground below, not just into the top portion of the footer.

The rebar is doing exactly what it's intended to do.

AgentW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cultured stone, stamped concrete