Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

privacy wall

Hi, I want to design/build a privacy wall in one of the communities in my neighborhood. There is an existing stucco wall built on 4x4 posts and it is falling apart at the seams because it is very old..(approx. 1985).. I want to replace it with a wall set on 4x4 posts spaced at 48".. I want to install 4x8 Hardi board sheets on each side that have a stucco finish on it because it has to match the stucco finish on house.. (HOA rules).. It will have a 2x8 PT board on both sides to trim it out (almost like a picture frame).. Primed, painted and caulked as well.. Any thoughts on the spacing of my 4x4's?... I am hoping the spacing is ok for the hardi boards... Thanx!

cre8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #2

privacy wall

The issues I would have with it is it can not be installed to close to the ground, handi panels are extreamly brittle, just finding one undamged in the pile can be a challange.
With that spacing and no backing, anything hitting, leaning on it, bumping it and it's going to break.
Add so framing behind it or better yet some sheathing will help greatly.
If you could make some sort of simple peak for the top it will last far longer.
Something like 2, 2 X's cut at a slight angle to form a sloped roof will work.

Got a picture of the old one.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

privacy wall

I left out that i was going to install a 2x4 in between the boards at the top of the wall (top of posts) to cap it off... i will upload the old disaster when i can...thank you for the input. the homeowner is trying to save sum cash .. the alternative will be very costly ...I will also check with the bldg dept here as well...FLORIDA...
cre8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

privacy wall

Good luck just trying to find the Hardi that looks like stucco.
No one on my area even stocks it and the minumum order was a pallet last time I checked.
I liked the look of it on there web site, but ended up having to use the one that looks like T-111.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
cre8tive (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
JOATMON

privacy wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8tive View Post
Hi, I want to design/build a privacy wall in one of the communities in my neighborhood. There is an existing stucco wall built on 4x4 posts and it is falling apart at the seams because it is very old..(approx. 1985).. I want to replace it with a wall set on 4x4 posts spaced at 48".. I want to install 4x8 Hardi board sheets on each side that have a stucco finish on it because it has to match the stucco finish on house.. (HOA rules).. It will have a 2x8 PT board on both sides to trim it out (almost like a picture frame).. Primed, painted and caulked as well.. Any thoughts on the spacing of my 4x4's?... I am hoping the spacing is ok for the hardi boards... Thanx!
Very Old? That's not old....

I think your going to get too much flex with the hardi with the posts at 48". The stucco will crack and you will be back in the same situation long before the new fence as time to get 'very old'.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

privacy wall

have you consider in between your 4x4 post installing a preservative treated 4x4 horizontally near the bottom (attaching to sides of 4x4 posts with hangers) and then build a 2x4 stud wall at 16" o.c.? This would provide you greater stability for your hardi.

just a thought

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote