Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Share |

privacy screen - need help

Due to our neighbour's deck being eye high to everything we do, their crazy attack dog and them sitting around inappropriately dressed, we're putting up some privacy screen and regular lattice wasn't going to do the trick, so I built a levered screen that resembles large wooden window blinds.

We've got the first one up but we had some trouble. We dug the holes, put in the posts. However, the screen was VERY heavy, had to go very high in the air and stay there while we fastened it. Then we also realized that while we had measured over and over the size was still off and we had to make up some difference between the posts. We finally came up with a plan; added some vertical 2x4's along the sides to make up the difference between the posts, fastened another 2x4 to heavy braces horizontally between the posts. Then we lifted the screen, first into the box of our pick up truck and then onto the 2x4, which held it in place while we fastened it to the posts and the 2x4 brace.

It wasn't easy. We have 3 more to go up and while we had room to work with the first one we're limited to about 4ft of space for the others which means we can't use the pick up.

The next three also share posts. So while we can have some strong friends help lift, I'd like to prevent any problems with the screen fitting between the posts. I have some ideas running around in my head about how we might get put up the others with less trouble BUT I'm not sure I'm on the right track.

Any suggestions??
Attached Thumbnails
privacy screen - need help-wall.jpg   privacy screen - need help-8-5-2013-029-copy-.jpg  

MzMolly65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Tall ships are here starting tomorrow, and I used to rig and race sailboats, but it seems like you have an awful lot of sail effect, eight feet up, on posts only 3' in the ground.

Did your neighbor ever get a permit for the deck? Did you get one for these privacy breaks?

You have not told us how wide these things are but I see problems for you if they are like 8' flipped over and near solid fence paneling or something. You would have been better off and probably within code to raise some masts and hang some nice sailcloth you could adjust. These things have to fall down in the first big storm with only 3' buried.

Last edited by user1007; 08-06-2013 at 11:50 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

*buzzer sounds* ... ENNNGH!!! Thanks for playing.

Does anyone have any helpful comments?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Get to know your neighbors. What you are doing, is making it look like you are the problem, not them. Also sounds like there is more to the story here, then is being told. BTW, what is your description of "inappropriately dressed" Are you stating that they are sitting out there just in their underwear. As for this supposed "Attack Dog", so it is a K-9. I am guessing that it barks at you every time you are out in the yard.

Our Golden Retriever does it to people all the time, when they go down the alleyway back behind our house. Some would state that she is vicious and dangerous, due to she will come running at you, from the patio, to the fence and start barking crazy at you, while wagging her tail at the same time.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 08-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #5

What is the brick structure?
Let me get the facts first -- you need this to be 8 foot high?
How wide do you need it to be?
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Tall ships are here starting tomorrow, and I used to rig and race sailboats, but it seems like you have an awful lot of sail effect, eight feet up, on posts only 3' in the ground.

Did your neighbor ever get a permit for the deck? Did you get one for these privacy breaks?

You have not told us how wide these things are but I see problems for you if they are like 8' flipped over and near solid fence paneling or something. You would have been better off and probably within code to raise some masts and hang some nice sailcloth you could adjust. These things have to fall down in the first big storm with only 3' buried.
My guess is that the deck was already there, this OP is the problem, not the neighbor at this point. Especially with that unsafe Billboard they have put up.

BTW, this OP lives in a Manufactured home, so my guess is that they lease land in a "Trailer Park", or Mobile home park. help - weight restrictions for mobile home
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #7

Do you a deck or patio off your house? What about building a pergola
over your patio or deck
with a side wall? This will look good, give you
100 percent privacy and you'll create the illusion of an
outside room as well.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzMolly65 View Post

It's a little unclear what you're expecting a 'helpful comment' to be. Sdsester asked a couple simple questions, and offered his advice (which is, more often than not, good advice). If you disagree with his comment, maybe you should explain why, because I'm sure others will ask the same.

Have you thought about the implications of having something this large on (above) your property? I'm certainly not a structural engineer, but that thing looks awfully heavy, and my assumption is that you're doing this on a whim because you're fed up with your neighbors. If (more likely, when) that thing takes a fall, it can do some serious damage to both property and people/pets. Your insurance isn't going to cover something that's built out of code without permits. Honestly, I doubt you could get a permit for something like this... it just doesn't sit right with me.

Without you giving us more detail on what sort of precautions and research you've done on this, we're probably going to assume the worst. If I were your neighbor, I'd be calling the city to come investigate the 'little' project you've got going on.

Last edited by NegativeTen; 08-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeTen For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
My guess is that the deck was already there, this OP is the problem, not the neighbor at this point. Especially with that unsafe Billboard they have put up.

BTW, this OP lives in a Manufactured home, so my guess is that they lease land in a "Trailer Park", or Mobile home park. help - weight restrictions for mobile home

If all you're going to do is making unhelpful remarks please don't bother hitting your send button.

The situation surrounding the need for the privacy screen is not up for discussion. There is obviously a lot more to this than anyone here knows or needs to know.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions regarding how to get the remaining screens up so they can be fastened to the posts I'd appreciate them.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
If all you're going to do is making unhelpful remarks please don't bother hitting your send button.

The situation surrounding the need for the privacy screen is not up for discussion. There is obviously a lot more to this than anyone here knows or needs to know.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions regarding how to get the remaining screens up so they can be fastened to the posts I'd appreciate them.
That's not an appropriate way to seek help, and I'd wager that the rest of the community would agree with me. By and large, the response you're going to get will probably be 'hire a professional.' Despite being a 'DIY' forum, everyone here is concerned with safety and doing things within the bounds of code and law (not to mention respect for your neighbor. I'd be furious if my neighbor put an eyesore like that in my line of view). If you can't explain the precautions and prework that you've done for this project, it's unlikely that you'll get any 'helpful suggestions' about finishing your project.
gregzoll (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeTen View Post
Have you thought about the implications of having something this large on (above) your property?
Yes, we have.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeTen View Post
If you can't explain the precautions and prework that you've done for this project, it's unlikely that you'll get any 'helpful suggestions' about finishing your project.
I've had someone completely skip the request for help and go straight to telling me what I *should* have done.

I've had someone who doesn't know me at all suggest I rent a lot in a mobile home park and post a link to other posts regarding my renovations.

I've had someone tell me their dog also runs at the fence barking, albeit with tail wagging.

Can you please tell me how any of those comments is educational or informative?

Last edited by MzMolly65; 08-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
I've had someone completely skip the request for help and go straight to telling me what I *should* have done.

I've had someone who doesn't know me at all suggest I rent a lot in a mobile home park and I'm uncertain what that has to do with this situation.

I've had someone tell me their dog also runs at the fence barking, albeit with tail wagging.

Can you please tell me how any of those comments is educational or informative?
The fact of the matter is that if you're unwilling to disclose what you have and haven't done so far in the project, then people aren't going to offer helpful advice. No one wants to contribute to a project that is potentially a safety hazard. If you were forthcoming with some of that information perhaps you'd get a better (and more positive) response rate.

Also, posting in the correct forum might help. But don't get your hopes up.
gregzoll (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:

Mz Molly, I was really just suggesting you have a lot of sail effect on this structure you have built. I can calculate it somewhat for you if you tell me what the width of your panels are. I am just guessing 4x8. Just tell me usual prevailing winds and how the panels sit to them. Tell me how bad the wind gets in storms. I actually did not know you live in a trailer park. I have nothing against people in them but South of me, those that do not pay attention to wind loads, or design strange things, seem to get relocated without permission in tornado season.

Meanwhile you are asking if we can tell you how to continue something you will not let us understand and that some of us perceive to be dangerous from the rather limited amount of information you have provided. And you are now angry with at least some of us? That seems a bit unfair don't you think?

I promise I am not climbing on you. Meanwhile why are you being hard on us? You showed eight feet or more of structure anchored three feet in the ground and at an angle. You are asking us, if I understand, how to set the posts in a space where you have but four foot of clearance and hang the other panels; sharing posts between two "billboards" as you drew the sketch for us.

Post hole digger Molly. Or remove a portion of the common fence, with neighbor permission, or that of your County Sheriff if you cannot talk to each other, so you can have reasonable access. This would not be an unreasonable request unless their is some feud beyond reasonable discussion with your neighbors going on. You will be responsible for putting the fence access you took down back up.

But please listen. You cannot share posts anchored so shallow for something like this for your structure you have in mind. You are going to hurt someone, or something. You cannot anchor it show shallow and only on 4x4.

Molly, I am going to see if the moderators will move this to the construction or general discussion section. I don't want you getting mad at those who built landscape structure and this site if there is a solution that might be helpful to you in another section.

Fair enough?

Last edited by user1007; 08-06-2013 at 02:01 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #15

Why is everyone jumping ugly all over this poster?
Granted, this construction is not going to be nice looking.

Instead of giving lectures about getting along with neighbors,
why not try and help with their dilemma -- They want privacy!

We have the best neighbors in America, however, I can sit out
in our yard without seeing them.
Went to a BBQ at my cousins
house and the neighbors along side of them, and the neighbors
in back of them could see us and they both
waved and made comments to my cousin through out the day.
I felt as if we were on display.

We have dense plantings as well as side walls on both ends of our deck.
We didn't need the side walls for privacy; we did it to create the illusion
of an outside room.

Some people (like me ) want total privacy in their backyard.

Getting back to the original posters problem, perhaps we can turn all this negativity
into some constructive advice.
Give some feedback on starting over and re-using the wood.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Two Knots For This Useful Post:
bucksfan (08-06-2013), Dave Sal (08-06-2013)