Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Privacy railing construction for deck - ideas on design?

As the back of my house is encompassed by a roadway and a bunch of houses, I have absolutely no privacey. To make matters worse, the roadway is within 50ft of my back sliding door.

Will be building a deck off the back sliding door, and my goal will be to build some varient of a privacy railing to surround the deck. There are a couple builders floating around the boards that have some nice ideas.

Here is a nice one for reference:
http://www.chicagocreativedecks.com/...otoid=77066462

My question is this:
- On the inside portion of the privacy railing, should there be a hand grip (for reference, my deck will be two levels, one at 12", other at 20". Future addition for hot tub will be approx 36.")
- I see most designs place the verticle slats directly butt together with no gapping. Is there any negatives to this? (I read that this may cause issue for air flow)
- What minimum spacing would be needed from the bottom of the railing system to the surface of the deck?
- What would the recommended height be for the solid section, and for the lattice?

For the wood slats, are builders typically using 5/4 x 4 (or 6) wood?

Thanks for any help or direction!

Last edited by Quicksmoke; 03-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Quicksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #2

any thoughts or guidance? i was thinking maybe make the solid portion of the railing/fence about 4' and add about 1' of lattice or similar on top. Bottom of railing about 1" from deck surface. The gf wants to be able to lay out on the deck without any intruding eyes

Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #3

Co-worker of mine mentioned vinyl privacy screens/fencing around the deck. Did some looking around and found this, looks pretty good!

http://www.deckconstructionpa.com/si...e/101_0885.jpg

Posts for the railings will not be consistent from one side vs the other sides of the deck, I'm curious if these types of fencing are able to be trimmed to length and reassembled? And are there more suitable types for decks, or any type of fencing can be used?