Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

Primed fiber cement siding and water/rain

Hello,

I recently bought a house that was found to have rotten window sills...something the inspector missed. We ended up having to replace the windows, which --- since we have asbestos siding --- means we have to replace the siding as well. Contractors can't take it off. I bought about $600 of GAF Weatherside fiber cement shingles as replacements.

QUESTION: We're supposed to have a partly sunny day tomorrow, so if the felt is fully dry, I'm planning on putting up the replacement shingles. But every day in the next week calls for a potential thunderstorm. Since the fiber cement shingles are only primed, can I leave them up until the sun comes back for painting?

THANKS!

Scott99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #2

It really shouldn't make a difference even if they weren't painted at all. The only issue with water would be if it got behind the shingle and was trapped there. If water gets behind a slate roof it will deteriorate the slate. Don't know how the shingle would fare.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #3

It is okay as long as they are primed. Make sure to prime any cuts. Painting should take place as soon as the weather allows. I can't remember how long it can remain unpainted and just primed. I called a rep about this a year ago and I believe they told me a month but I'm not sure. At any rate, the sooner the better as the primer will begin to deteriorate if not covered with paint in a reasonable amount of time.