Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Prime subfloor or not?

I'm in the process of getting the bathroom floor ready for tiling and tub installation.
I've laid down new plywood over the floorboards, and I'm at the point where I'm ready to lay down the cement backer board. I've read that the best way to do this is to lay a layer of thin set then place the board down and screw it in, then do the joints with tape and thin set.
My questions is this.. should I prime the plywood subfloor before applying the thin set? Any special kind of primer, if so?

I've read that you should to get proper adherence, however most instructions I've read don't even mention it.

Thanks.

Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Advice worth 2 cents!

Prime subfloor or not?

DO NOT PRIME THE PLYWOOD!!!!

I'm assuming you've done your homework and your sub floor is strong enough for tile (1 1/4" plywood, cement board does not add sturdiness). Your right about the thinset, if you use a top quality product that is modified it will stick well to the plywood.

You should always check the data sheets on the products you buy, go to the manufacturers web-site and check them out!

- pete

Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Remodeling Pro

Prime subfloor or not?

Whether you nail or screw the underlayment to the subfloor make sure your screws or nails are no longer than the thickness of the underlayment plus the subfloor.

You don't want to tie the underlayment into the framing beneathe the subfloor.

As far as priming, no way. Most flooring installers using any type of adhesive(in this case thinset) will throw a hissy fit if there is paint on the substrate.
orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
weekend warrior

Prime subfloor or not?

Thanks for the responses guys. I've already laid the plywood and the cement board down on the floor. I didn't prime the plywood, just purchased a high quality mortar. I think I 'did it right'.
Mortar was an interesting learning curve, I wasn't too tough to mix properly, but definitely trickier to spread well than I expected. But overall I would consider the laying of the floor and underlayment a success. Next it's on to the tub install and then the walls go up!
Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote