Pressure Treated Wood Does Or Does Not Need To Be Painted???? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Pressure treated wood does or does not need to be painted????

I'm very confused about this. 90% of the articles I read say pressure treated wood must be painted or stained. However, I see pressure treated wood on peoples fences, decks, and walkways that was never treated or painted. Does anybody know the truth?

I want to built a deck platform, but I don't want to paint or stain most of it. I only want to paint the wood that people can see on top of the deck. The framing and the underside of the deck I just want to leave it unpainted and unstained.

Advertisement

stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Does it HAVE to be painted/stained, no. Should it be, yes. PT wood has a tendency to split and check as the chemicals dry out. Stains, better than paint, slow this normal aging. Stains soak into the surface, where most paints are just a top coating, so stains protect better. And solid stains work better to block UV rays than semi-transparent stains.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (12-28-2010), stanlam (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

this is just exterior use only right? i have some PT wood inside my walls ,i've just built for load bearing, that is not stained
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vote4Pedro View Post
this is just exterior use only right? i have some PT wood inside my walls ,i've just built for load bearing, that is not stained
Pressure treated wood for interior use is for sill /bottom plates only. No need for surface applications.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post
I'm very confused about this. 90% of the articles I read say pressure treated wood must be painted or stained. However, I see pressure treated wood on peoples fences, decks, and walkways that was never treated or painted. Does anybody know the truth?

I want to built a deck platform, but I don't want to paint or stain most of it. I only want to paint the wood that people can see on top of the deck. The framing and the underside of the deck I just want to leave it unpainted and unstained.
The framing doesn't have to be painted or stained.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

While pressure-treated is intended to protect primarily from insects, fungus, bacterial rot, exterior weather exposure and UV in sunlight will definitely result in checking and splintering of the surface. I'm going to be replacing my entire deck; it is PT but was never stained, and at 7 years old when we bought it the deck boards were badly damaged. Stain provides add'l protection that is definitely needed IMHO.

Guy
DIY_ing_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #7

While pressure-treated is intended to protect primarily from insects, fungus, bacterial rot, exterior weather exposure and UV in sunlight will definitely result in checking and splintering of the surface. I'm going to be replacing my entire deck; it is PT but was never stained, and at 7 years old when we bought it the deck boards were badly damaged. Stain provides add'l protection that is definitely needed IMHO.

Guy
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post

You should be (more or less) okay leaving the framing of the deck untreated. It will be mostly protected from the elements.

Keep in mind that even pressure treated lumber will eventually rot, if not top-coated regularly. However, if you keep your deck platform water-proofed, you'll go for many many years before your framing has any problems.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
stanlam (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_ing_Guy View Post

Guy
7 years is so short. what kind of wood are you going to replace the deck with?

Last edited by stanlam; 12-28-2010 at 10:47 PM.
stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,174

A good way to protect the framing from rot is to cover the top surface of the PT framing with ice and water shield, or equivalent. I found this suggestion in Fine Woodworking, and applied the idea to my recently built deck.

Checking of framing lumber is not a serious problem. Clearly checking of the decking is a serious cosmetic issue, so if you are using PT for the deck, you need to think seriously about stain, paint, or similar protection. I built my deck using PT framing, ice and water shield over the PT framing, and Ipe decking (which I am coating with an Ipe sealant).
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #11

Can't say I've got a plan yet. Right now a basement remodel is taking my time, so the deck will have to last one more year (or at least until summer).

Guy
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #12

I would definitely stain the top deck boards. As for the framing (joists, beams, etc, I built my new cedar deck last year and used PT for the framing. PT will eventually rot also, especially the tops of the joists where moisture can sit under the deck boards that sit on top of the joists.

I actually covered all framing with a blueskin product that is rubber/tar based under the blue coating that seals around the deck screws and prevents moisture from sitting under the deck boards and soaking into the top of the joists around screw holes.

It cost an extra $250 to do (blueskin and the extra adhesive glue which I applied first, let sit for 20 minutes and then applied the blueskin), but my joists will last for year. I dont' mind replacing a few deck boards over the years, but starting from scratch every 10 years of so is a pain.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Pressure treated wood does or does not need to be painted????-img_3968.jpg   Pressure treated wood does or does not need to be painted????-img_3976.jpg   Pressure treated wood does or does not need to be painted????-img_3971.jpg  

Advertisement

dpach is offline   Reply With Quote